Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: PLEASE HELP! Bought iPod on eBay & it doesn't work!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Bought iPod on eBay & it doesn't work!

Hi to all,

I bought one of the older 15GB iPod's on eBay and if I'm not mistaken, it's considered a 3rd Generation model.

The seller listed the item as working, but it doesn't seem to work. I've had the iPod for 2 weeks and can't seem to make it work, nor do I have a manual or installation CD. I've tried to download miscellaneous updates on the Apple Support website, but none have helped with my issue. A friend just bought a 4GB mini and I installed his software and that doesn't work either.

So far, the ONLY thing I've gotten on the iPod screen is an "exclamation point with a folder" icon that randomly flashes followed by the Apple logo and another messege that says "Disk Mode, ok to disconnect."

When I plug the iPod into my USB port, my PC doesn't detect that it's there. I confirmed this by opening "My Computer" and looking for the iPod. My OS is XP Professional. I've also tried using the updater, but since my PC doesn't detect the iPod, that hasn't worked either.

I've tried to reset it by holding menu and the select button, but nothing.

Does anyone have any insight regarding what the problem is? I mean, I've reached the point where I'm really frustrated. Is the iPod broken, hard disk damaged, etc?

Cheers,

Freddie

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 AM

GODZILLA!!!111oneone

While it displays Disk Mode ok to disconnect, have you tried to connecting it to the computer? Try a disc scan as well.

Reset the iPod. At the Apple logo, press and hold Previous, Next, Select, and Menu. An animated icon of a disk and magnifying glass with a progress bar below it appears.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:08 AM

Veteran Lounger

Try some of these fixes

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003
Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickster
While it displays Disk Mode ok to disconnect, have you tried to connecting it to the computer? Try a disc scan as well.

Reset the iPod. At the Apple logo, press and hold Previous, Next, Select, and Menu. An animated icon of a disk and magnifying glass with a progress bar below it appears.
Nickster,

First, thank you for the response.

Yes, I've tried connecting it to the PC during Disk Mode, but it was not detected.

I followed the steps you outlined to reset it and the disk icon did appear, but it was followed by an icon of an iPod with what appeared to be sad face on it. There is also an exclamation point icon next to the iPod. I did connect it to my PC and the first time, Windows detected new hardware, but seconds later, I got a pop-up window saying the USB device malfunctioned and Windows did not recognize it.

Nothing yet, but this is more progress than I've seen, so I'm really stoked that it responds to certain commands. Is that sad or what, LOL?

Mel, thanks for your response as well. I've literally spent hours on the Apple support site to no avail.

Any further insight, solutions and tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Freddie

Last edited by FreddieCollins; 07-18-2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Anyone else?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Brainwashed Right Winger

honestly it sounds like the HDD is shot. It is in forced firewire mode and what I don't know is whether or not it will read by putting in to a USB port. Do you know any friends who have a Mac? It could be mac formated and therefore not show up on the pc or you could also try plugging it into the FW port and see if the mac can restore it.

Chris

iPhone 5s 16GB | iPad Mini 1Gen 16GB | 16gig iPad | Unibody MacBook Pro
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 PM

iCycle

Yeah, I got that symbol on my mini and when nothing else worked I had to send it in to a 3rd party repair place. They said the HD was fried. Maybe contact your seller and see about a refund? If they sold it as working, then you're entitled to a working ipod.

Pink 1G 4GB ipod mini
Nightmare Before Christmas case
caterina white Vaja iVod mini case
Sony MDR-EX51
Old 07-19-2005, 02:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the response.

I tried the seller, but he said it was sold as-is, so I'm stuck with the iPod. I was thinking of just buying a HD from eBay and if I'm not mistaken, I've seen them for roughly $100, but I have no idea how to open the iPod since it has no screws.

Does anyone have information regarding the process of getting the iPod running with a new HD?

Cheers,

Freddie
Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

Dawg,

I actually thought about that and it's really good advice, but unfortunately, I don't know anyone that owns a Mac. Then again, if that were the case, I would be able to use the iPod, but not sync it to my PC, right? I get absolutely nothing on the screen except these icons, which are indicative of whatever problem the iPod is experiencing.

Thanks again for the response.

Cheers,

Freddie

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue_Dawg
honestly it sounds like the HDD is shot. It is in forced firewire mode and what I don't know is whether or not it will read by putting in to a USB port. Do you know any friends who have a Mac? It could be mac formated and therefore not show up on the pc or you could also try plugging it into the FW port and see if the mac can restore it.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Senior Lounger

did he really sell it as is or did he list it as working? I'd contact e-bay. sounds like fraud to me. Ebay provides some protection for its patrons -not much, but it is worth a shot... if not, there is always apple...

iTunesRegistry.com: 10,647 tracks, 39.62 days listening time.

20 gig/4G/BW & 80 GB 5.5 Black
Ultimate Ears Super.fi5 White
Crossroads Mylarone X3

Topic: PLEASE HELP! Bought iPod on eBay & it doesn't work!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.