Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes after Windows reinstall

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-10-2005, 07:59 AM

dtl
Freshman Lounger

Itunes after Windows reinstall

Hello,

Please help me to find out if I reinstall Windows and Itunes/Ipod after I connect for the first time Ipod to Itunes, it will erase everything on Ipod? If the answer would be affirmative, how can I ensure that my files will not be automatically erased?

Please note that now, the Ipod is enabled for disk support, and Itunes is switched to manual file update.

I am worried about this issue because I know that Ipod settings aren't available till the Ipod is not connected, and by default the Itunes settings for Ipod are switched on automatic sync.

Thank you,
Alex

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:19 AM

All Rush, All the time...

Yes it you connect an iPod to an empty iTunes and you haphazardly go clicking along you can and most likely will whipe you iPod!

The best advice is to open up you Windows Explorer and then via the 'Tools' and 'Options' there. Deactivate EVERY INSTANCE of 'Hide Files, Folders & Extensions' you see in there...

Then Connect your iPod and in Windows Explorer goto "x:\iPod_Control\Music" and back up each and EVERY "Fxx" Folder you see there!

Should you already have iTunes installed just KILL IT DO NOT LET iTunes near your iPod untill you have done the above!

After you copied the Fxx Folders to your /tmp you can then start to reimport 'em back into your iTunes.

Next time make sure you deactivate your Computer first (iTMS Tracks Licence(s)) and backup your iTunes Libaray.itl and iTunes Music Libaray.xml Files If you import those first I don't think you have to do the above (NOTE I STILL HAVE TO TEST THIS!),. But, that's the gist of what I got when reading about iTunes and the iTMS 101 here on the Lounge.

Sadly I gather if you do not have a backup of these Files you will not be able to take your Playlists and or, Playcounts with you. But, at least you will (or should), still have your Music...

Old 07-10-2005, 08:36 AM

dtl
Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by Ichijoe
Yes it you connect an iPod to an empty iTunes and you haphazardly go clicking along you can and most likely will whipe you iPod!

The best advice is to open up you Windows Explorer and then via the 'Tools' and 'Options' there. Deactivate EVERY INSTANCE of 'Hide Files, Folders & Extensions' you see in there...

Then Connect your iPod and in Windows Explorer goto "x:\iPod_Control\Music" and back up each and EVERY "Fxx" Folder you see there!

Should you already have iTunes installed just KILL IT DO NOT LET iTunes near your iPod untill you have done the above!

After you copied the Fxx Folders to your /tmp you can then start to reimport 'em back into your iTunes.

Next time make sure you deactivate your Computer first (iTMS Tracks Licence(s)) and backup your iTunes Libaray.itl and iTunes Music Libaray.xml Files If you import those first I don't think you have to do the above (NOTE I STILL HAVE TO TEST THIS!),. But, that's the gist of what I got when reading about iTunes and the iTMS 101 here on the Lounge.

Sadly I gather if you do not have a backup of these Files you will not be able to take your Playlists and or, Playcounts with you. But, at least you will (or should), still have your Music...

Thanks Ichijoe for your answer!

I am not worried about Itunes Library, since I've got all the music on iPod, and don't express want to move it to PC. That's why I bought the iPOD, to move all the files on it.

What I wanted to find out is if I can and how to set up first the iTunes on manual sync, before risking of automatically sync on Windows/iPod/iTunes reinstall.

thanks again,
Alex

Last edited by dtl; 07-10-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Topic: Itunes after Windows reinstall

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.