Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod keeps disconnecting from computer -- HELP!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM

Senior Lounger

Ipod keeps disconnecting from computer -- HELP!

OK, I just got a new ipod (30gb photo)... I connected it to my home computer and it works fine. But when I try connecting it to my work computer and it keeps disconnecting itself. When I plug it in, it will work for a minute or two (allowing me to load or access songs), but then it will disconnect and reconnect itself at random every thirty seconds or so (making the little disconnect and reconnect sounds back to back). Every once in a while it will let me access the music on it, but usually when I try to play something or compy music to it, I quickly get disconnected.

Can anyone help me out here? This is driving me crazy... I am running Windows XP Prof (service pack 2) and Itunes 4.9. Once it also gave me a little message in the bottom right corner (by the clock) that said "usb mass storage device found" and then another one that said "installation of new hardware failed." Could it be something to do with the network or the firewall here at work? WTF?

Thanks in advance,

-chief

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM

Junior Lounger

It's probably something to do with a firewall at work, yes. I'm not really sure how firewalls work because I don't use one, and I don't know how USB/Firewire is associated with them, but it sounds like your computer is forcing the iPod to disconnect and the device is trying not to, and that's why it keeps connecting and disconnecting back and forth. I'd just upload files at home, if I were you. And if you have files on your work PC that you want on the iPod, just transfer them as data to a CDR, take it home, copy the files to your PC and put them on the iPod that way.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Senior Lounger

CRAP... Now I have a bigger problem. My ipod is now stuck on "do not disconnect" even though it is not connected to the computer anymore. It doesn't respond when I press any of the buttons and it won't turn off. What do I do now???
Old 07-06-2005, 04:22 PM

Senior Lounger

OK, I got my ipod reset and all of the music is still there. Can anyone help me with the original problem. I would really like to be able to download podcasts from work.

Thanks.

Topic: Ipod keeps disconnecting from computer -- HELP!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.