Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: My iPod's menu button won't work!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry My iPod's menu button won't work!

Help! Usually, when I pressed the menu button, it would go back to the previous screen. But now it won't! Now I can't get any music up, because I can't even go back to the main menu! Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? I went away for a week without the my Mini, and I'm afraid the battery died or something happened while I was gone.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Try restoring your iPod using the latest iPod updater software. If that doesn't work then there may be something physically wrong with your mini. You will either have to send it in to Apple (if you are within their 1 year factory warranty or you purchased AppleCare) or fuss with the place you purchased it from (if you are within 30 days or have purchased an extended warranty from them).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 07-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Senior Lounger

Or before restoring it, you can try a soft reset.

- toggle the hold button
- press both the menu and select button at the same time and release upon seeing the apple logo.

Take deep breaths. It's happenned to me a couple of times before. NOthing like a soft reset to solve it.

All the best

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
fix one bug, compile it again...
101 little bugs in the code....
Old 07-06-2005, 01:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

I recently had this happen with my girlfriend's 2G 4GB mini and was wondering if this was a common occurrence for them. We were on a long road trip and we couldn't get back out of shuffle mode which was quite annoying.

This is really bothering me because I just bought this for her in April and picked a 4G 20Gb up for myself not too long ago. I don't want to be stuck with a defective product nor do I want her to have to reload all her music if we can avoid it.

Oh yeah, this is my first post here.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Senior Lounger

Welcome and yes, it's a rather common occurrence. Unfortunately the only piece of advice I've got is, get used to soft reset.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

yeah, that's what i was afraid of. well, thanks for the info. I'll just have to tell her how to perform a soft reset and tell her it's more common than it should be...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Same thing happend to me!
I returned it and got a new one, no questions asked... or wait maybe just 1 " how do you turn this off again?"
hehhehe
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

soft rest worked

My menu button wasn't working on my 20Gig. I did soft reset (toggle hold- then pushed menu and select until apple logo came up) and it worked like a charm. Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 AM

Junior Lounger

Exact thing happend to me when I tried to reset it. By holding down Menu, Click Button and Play. I just went back to the place I bought it and they cave me a new one.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Menu button not working reset steps in right order

Geekchick and others that contributed to this thread. Thanks for your instructions on resetting the IPOD.

My symptoms were the same as others in that I could press and hold the menu button to get the backlight to light but it would not go to the menu at all but all other buttons were working fine and playing music fine.

One thing I might mention is that I had to make sure that I had to use a certain sequence to get my reset to actually work.

Here were my exact steps and sequence for my 20GB 4th gen IPOD.

1. The IPOD is powered off and nothing showing on the display.

2. Slide the top hold button to hold then to off twice ending in the off position. Your apple IPOD should now be on and have something on the display.

3. Press and hold the center select button with one thumb or finger on one hand.

4. Now press and hold the menu button with one thumb or finger on the other hand for at least 10 seconds or more. The backlight might light up (mine did) keep holding both buttons and eventually the IPOD will do a soft reset the screen blanks for a 1 or 2 seconds and an apple logo appears.

5. When the logo appears release both buttons and your screen should be at the main menu and your menu button should now work again

BTW: I searched the apple support site for this problem but the steps on this thread on the ipod lounge were much easier to find which pointed me in the right direction until I figured what I was doing wrong with the button sequence.

Also, since I only bought my IPOD 92 days ago I also called Apple Support but the tech said I only get 90 days of free tech support on the phone. WTH? I was 2 days over the limit. Oh Well! He was nice enough to give me a name of an Apple store near me that I could bring it into if I wanted to have them take a quick look at my problem. That's when I decided to hunt on iPod lounge for the solution. Thank God I did because it saved me a trip to the store! Long live ipod lounge

Bruce

Last edited by bmoody33; 08-02-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Senior Lounger

Good for you, mate! The first thing anyone should do when they have problems with their iPod is to take deep breaths and calm down. THEN, do a search on the forums. There's a mint of info in here and would save on repeated threads

Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

Yeah, that's why I decided to post my sequence of pressing the buttons because I was getting a bit frustrated trying to reset it. I'm an IT manager and couldn't figure it out. LOL Sometimes we all need the dummies guide to resetting the ipod so I thought I'd share my sequence since I needed it step by step I thought there will be some others out there who need it step by step for them as well.

Thanks again and Cheers
Bruce

Topic: My iPod's menu button won't work!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.