Questions for long time ipod users...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JP_in_GB

Ok..let's say I buy a brand new ipod from the store.

With average to slightly less than average use (figure 5-7 hrs a week,mostly on the bus,etc) and with the idea that I take extremely good care of my stuff...I learn how to use it...I don't drop it,I don't let it bang around in a backpack...I treat it like it were alive.

How long (in yrs) can I expect the hard-drive to last?

How long (yrs) for the battery?

And I mean to the point were it will not work AT ALL!

I've read horror stories of the battery dying 10,12,14 months from purchase and for a $300 item that is not good at all.

And last..on my Sony Vaio, I have a IEEE 1394/iLINK port....is this the same as firewire?

Thanks to whoever can answer these.
:)

Last edited:

ashawley

Website
www.
I'd say 5 years easy.

If you figure that the battery will lose 25% of its capacity after 500 full cycles and you're only using yours 5-7 hours a week, it will probably last longer.

My first iPod is still going strong (a gen 1) and still getting 10+ hours of battery life. My second and third ones are still like new as well in terms of battery life.

I don't know where the 10 months stuff is coming from frankly....I've never heard that before.

Adam

JP_in_GB

-

I read that on some of the Circuit City/Target 'user/buyer reviews.'..also on some other boards here or there.

Just covering my tracks should I break down and buy new...I have a want ad posted here but so far no offers.

For me this is big investment and I want to be sure it will last.

Thanks...

Phil

Website
www.staind-online.com
hard drive: 5+ years
battery: 2.5 years maybe...I've never had a laptop or cellphone battery last any longer than that.

iLink is supposed to be the same as firewire, but in some older computers it doesn't work with the ipod too well.

JP_in_GB

-

2 yrs I could accept. My hope is to get a solid 2-3 yrs out of it cuz if I fork over the $$$,no more toys for me for a long time. :eek:)

I just don't want the thing to crap out by the end of next year.

JP_in_GB

----

Our PC will be 2 years old this December...bought new Dec 2001
It has a iLINK port on the front and one on the back.

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
if you can, buy it with a TAP -

it's probably worth the few extra bucks just to save yourself the hassle of having apple pciking up and sending stuff instead of just doing an over the counter exchange...

Jackonicko

Retired
No TAPs in the UK.

I'd buy a refurb if you can find a way of getting one back from the US. (Refurbs are rarely offered on the UK Apple site at the moment).

I wouldn't worry too much about battery life. Mine's still going strong after 18 months or so, and you can buy and fit replacement batteries.

Aricbaker

Tap for a 40 gig at Compusa is currently 64.99 (goes off price of the item I think), but it's definitly worth it. It protects you against ANY problems with your iPod.. dropping, battery performance, ANYTHING..

Phil

Website
www.staind-online.com
Woah, 64.99? They should sell you the TAP for peripherals (which explicitly says it covers mp3 players) in the $350-499 price range for $39.99 and no tax. For $200-349, the TAP is $27.99.

edit: Oh, $64.99 is for the two year plan.