Broken iPods - Faulty iPod or Faulty User?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lps

Hi, I was reading on the forum that a lot of people have had to replace their iPods. Is this mostly because of defective iPods, or are they being mistreated by their users?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
A combination of both things.

Remember that people come here with problems, so people's issues and troubles are far out numbered by those of bliss and joy. A substantial portion of the user base here doesn't have any problems with their iPods.

Welcome to the lounge.

broken spoke

iCycle
I noticed the microdrive is a lot more sensitive to heat damage than you might think. I'm convinced my hardrive was ruined because I left it in the car, but before that I had no problems.

lps

So when I get my iPod, if I treat it with extra good care, I should be good to go then?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Maybe, maybe not.

Search any other portable device and you will find various complaints about it's hardiness. The bottom line is we are carrying around portable hard drives. They probably really weren't meant to be used in the way we are using them. I've never had hard drive issues, just battery ones (original 3rd gen), but others have. I'd purchase an extended warrenty for peace of mind.

As they say #### happens, but it's not just the iPod.

Stuart

kevmakara

The Tie-Dye Alchemist
Sort of like stud said, alot of people who've joined originally joined because of a problem. (That statement is based on what I have seen and heard so don't hold me to it.) That means that alot of the posts are going to be people asking questins about broken iPods, how to change a battery, warranty questions, etc. That is why it seems as though so many topics are created having to do with problems.
As for myself, I think that alot of them are mostly the user's fault. Not to say that I'm not at fault. I've already cashed in once on my Best Buy 3 year service/replacement plan, and it was totally my fault. The hard drive fried, as broken spoke said, the hard drive is very sensitive to heat. I mean look at computer hard drives, most CPU's have a fan built in to keep all the components cool, especially the hard drive. Now if a fan is needed to keep the bigger ones cool and we are say, leaving them in our car in the heat imagine what could happen. By the way, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting an iPod (in fact go for it!), I'm just telling you that they are pretty sensitive and you have to be careful. Anyways, yes welcome to the Lounge, I'm sure you'll be very happy here :D

tangogirlatl

I personal am having erksome probs w/ my ipod that an expensive product that I treat well should not have (in a perfect world, anyways.) A lot of my friends have had probs 2. Despite this, I still recommend buying one b/c pros outweigh cons. The battery seems to be the biggest source of grief for most: there was a recent lawsuit about it and many people are unhappy.

mahzorimipod

I think it's most the user's fault. WIth the advent of the GUI and plug and play, computers and gadgets like the iPod have greater exposure to the the generally technologically ignorant public. Seeing such asinine posts as, "Help! iPod HD only 3.7GB" or "How to Play Games on Mini" only highten my concern over the misuse of such gadgets. I've #######es accidentally drop theirs on concrete floors and rush it off to the Apple store for immediate replacement. I got my mini back in May '04 and its still lacks dents and only has a few scratches on the screen.