HELP! USB device malfunctioned?!?!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

1stDegreeMurder

If anyone could help me, it would be really appreciated.

Tonight, while I was trying to put songs onto my iPod, my computer froze. It was one of those freezes where it stays frozen for hours, and the CTRL+ALT+DELETE just doesn't work. I hesitated a bit, but decided that the only way to unfreeze the computer was to restart the computer... with the Ipod still connected. I've had to shut down my computer before while my ipod was still connected, and never ever experienced any problems. However this is my first time RESTARTING the computer with the Ipod still conncected as opposed to SHUTTING DOWN the computer while connected. Now, it seems as though this has completely destroyed the USB, or something. Everytime I try to plug in the USB cable to my ipod, my computer says, "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED, the usb malfunctioned.... etc..."
How exactly do I fix this problem? Is the entire USB device, whatever that is, broken? Or it just that one USB cable that's damaged? I don't see how me restarting the computer while still connected could damage the cable... but then again, I don't know much about this stuff... so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1stDegreeMurder

Please, somebody?
I tried another new USB cable, and it still doesn't fix the problem. I tried the new cable on my sister's Ipod and it worked fine for her, but when I tried it, it didn't work. So, I think there's something wrong with my iPod... now what?

Help please.

zin-chee

its probably either the driver or the ipod. The probrams using your ipod have somekinda continuos data write thing, as in there's always data going back and forth. Since you restarted it, you may have corrupted the data or drivers, like if you eject a floppy or cdr while its being written. try reinstalling the ipod software after remmoving it in safemode. then use diskmode, and if it works then congrats. otherwise, a restore may be in order as long as you can get it to connect.

1stDegreeMurder

Ok, so I finally figured out how to fix it. I've noticed that some people have had the same problem as me, and couldn't get a proper solution to fix it...

All I did was reset the ipod and it worked perfectly. All you do is hold the Menu and Center button at the same time, wait until the Apple logo appears and there you have it... your ipod is reset... and hopefully the USB device problem is restored.