Weird Volume Question - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Weird Volume Question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Junior Lounger

Weird Volume Question

Problem: My audio sounds "fuzzy" or "too loud" over Bluetooth connection, but sounds fine with headphones that are connected via the lightning port.

Description: My phone is now my iPod and I connect my phone, via Bluetooth, to my car's stereo. Some songs sound fine, some sound like they are coming through "too loud" and as such, the music is not as clear or kind of crappy.

I originally thought it was an issue with the equalizer on my Pioneer car stereo (which is not top of the line by any means, but does the job) or my speakers (but I know they are good). I tried adjusting everything and got it to be a little better, but still not what I think it should be. I also thought it could be that I set my MP3's volume to 100% volume adjustment from iTunes. When adjusting the volume there, it just sounds like a lower or louder version of the problem I've just described. It just sounds like the perfect balance and bass when I used normal, wired headphones from Apple.

I've always chalked it up to a sub-par car stereo system, but recently someone gifted me AirPods. I'm experiencing the same issue as described above.
I would think I wouldn't get the same issue as the AirPods are specifically made for Apple products. I also notice this when I connect to portable Bose players or those nice pods that have the large +/- sign on them, I get the same issue.

The common factor between all of these situations is a Bluetooth connection. Is there a way to "improve the equalizer settings" that are sent through Bluetooth to get that same quality, rich, perfectly balanced sounds that is head through the Apple, wired headphones?

Sorry if this post is confusing, but I don't know how else to describe this issue. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:08 PM

I would not call it a volume question, but rather a Bluetooth audio quality question.

Apple uses A2DP Bluetooth for audio playback. This protocol compresses the audio and when you get it on the other side to hear it, the quality is reduced. You'll see it described as "dulling the overall soundstage" and "diminishing some of the detail".

There is not much you can do about the Bluetooth quality, other that be sure that your original files are fairly high quality so you don't have a reduction of quality on low quality sound. Use the wire for good sound.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Pro Lounger

I realize this thread is a bit old, and hopefully the issue is resolved. I have one question. Is the audio bad only when playing via car audio, or also with your phone and headphones outside of the car? If it's only via your car, chances are your car has a faulty Bluetooth circuit. SO it would be your car, and not your phone.

p.s. I have no reduced quality using my BT IEMs and iPhone 8 Plus.

iPhone 8 Plus - iPod Touch 4G 64GB - iPod Classic 160GB - Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320

Last edited by musichound; 04-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Junior Lounger

The same issue is happening in BOTH the car or using the wireless AirPods which leads me to believe what cjmnews is saying about the BlueTooth encoding quality could be the source of the issue.

Topic: Weird Volume Question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.