Playlists not syncing to iPhone 8 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Playlists not syncing to iPhone 8

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Playlists not syncing to iPhone 8

Hello, I have an iPhone 8 with updated iOS (11.2.5), and iTunes, also the latest version (12.7.3.46). My problem is that playlists on my iTunes won't update on my iPhone. When I click on the playlist in the "On My Device" section of iTunes, it says the playlist on the phone is the latest one, but on the phone itself, it continues to be an old, non-updated version of the playlist.

I've deleted and reuploaded all the songs and playlists, reset the phone and started over, and still, no updating of playlists. I've tried dragging and dropping the playlist from the music section of iTunes onto the phone, but still, no updated list, just an old one (I have no idea how old the playlist on the phone actually is). I've tried just about everything I've found on Google, still to no avail.

This is incredibly frustrating...anyone have ideas on how to fix it?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:02 AM

I am on the same versions of software with an iPhone X.

My syncs are working just fine. I use selected playlist automatic syncing.

Where are you seeing these old playlists? I am assuming in the built in Music app.
Do you use automatic sync? Manually Manage Music and videos (aka: drag and drop)?

Does "Started Over" mean that you restored the iPhone?

Can you describe the difference in old and new playlists? Like, there are songs that I listened to yesterday that should have fallen out of the smart playlist. The number of songs in the old playlist is 95 and 102 in the new one.

When you look at the playlists in iTunes, do you see multiple copies of the playlist?
Good Songs
Good Songs 1
Good Songs 2

When you click on your iPhone and then click on the upper Music section, on the right side it should show what you are syncing. Scrolling though the playlists, do you see a check mark next to Good Songs 2 for example instead of Good Songs? This happens when you edit playlists on the iPhone, it continues to sync the iPhone edited version instead of the iTunes version.

Are you using Autofill? https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12313
You may be using that to get music and it is ignoring the playlists? You may need to turn it off.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I use selected playlist automatic syncing.
Is that in the settings section in iTunes where "Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres" is chosen instead of "Entire music library"? If that's the case, this is how I have it set also.

Quote:
Where are you seeing these old playlists? I am assuming in the built in Music app.
Yes.

Quote:
Do you use automatic sync? Manually Manage Music and videos (aka: drag and drop)?
Yes, automatic sync. I have tried dragging and dropping, but that doesn't work, either.

Quote:
Does "Started Over" mean that you restored the iPhone?
Yes.

Quote:
Can you describe the difference in old and new playlists?
The playlists in question are most frequently played lists. There seems to be an update in this area. It might be that it's not the playlists not updating, it's that the play counts don't update. I deleted and recreated the playlists, and they stayed the same. I saw a suggestion online that I deauthorize, reboot and reauthorize the computer, and that didn't work, either.

Quote:
When you look at the playlists in iTunes, do you see multiple copies of the playlist?
No.

When you click on your iPhone and then click on the upper Music section, on the right side it should show what you are syncing. Scrolling though the playlists, do you see a check mark next to Good Songs 2 for example instead of Good Songs? This happens when you edit playlists on the iPhone, it continues to sync the iPhone edited version instead of the iTunes version.

Quote:
Are you using Autofill?
No.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 AM

Drag and drop never works if you use any version of auto sync.

OK, it seems that you have an issue where you play songs in a playlist, and the play counts don't update.

Are you playing these songs on the iPhone?
Do you kill the Music app before you sync? You need to stop doing this. This will make the plays not be stored in the iPhone and they will not sync to iTunes.

Try playing a few tracks, leaving the Music app alive on the iPhone and then sync. Do the changes come across?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Are you playing these songs on the iPhone?
On the iPhone, on my iPod (which syncs correctly) and in iTunes.

Quote:
Do you kill the Music app before you sync? You need to stop doing this. This will make the plays not be stored in the iPhone and they will not sync to iTunes.
I have been killing the Music app, but I think there might be some confusion. iTunes is correct...it's the phone that's wrong. If, for example, you look at my Top 25 list in iTunes, it's Song A, Song B, Song C -- which is what it should be. If you look at the same playlist on the phone, it's Song A, Song D, Song E -- which it had been previously, but is no longer. It's also not an order issue -- there are songs which aren't even in the playlist on the phone that are on the iTunes list.

Also, if the phone is plugged into the computer, and you click on the phone and look at the playlist in the "On My Device" section, it is the same as on iTunes, but it's not what is actually on the phone.

Quote:
Try playing a few tracks, leaving the Music app alive on the iPhone and then sync. Do the changes come across?
I tried this; it still does not sync correctly.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I have been killing the Music app, but I think there might be some confusion. iTunes is correct...it's the phone that's wrong. If, for example, you look at my Top 25 list in iTunes, it's Song A, Song B, Song C -- which is what it should be. If you look at the same playlist on the phone, it's Song A, Song D, Song E -- which it had been previously, but is no longer. It's also not an order issue -- there are songs which aren't even in the playlist on the phone that are on the iTunes list.

Also, if the phone is plugged into the computer, and you click on the phone and look at the playlist in the "On My Device" section, it is the same as on iTunes, but it's not what is actually on the phone.
This is why I asked earlier if you actually used the Restore option for your iPhone. This sounds like a problem in iOS, which would typically be fixed by a restore.

Heck even removing the playlist (unchecking it in iTunes Music section, click Apply, verify the playlist is not there in the Music App and iTunes) and adding it again (check the playlist again and click apply to sync across the current playlist) should fix it.

Removing all Music (uncheck Sync Music in iTunes, click apply) should remove it and you should be able to verify it in iTunes and the Music app. If the music is still there, then you can use Settings->General->iPhone Storage->Music, tap Edit, then tap the delete symbol next to All Songs, then tap Delete to remove all music should do the trick. Sync again and you should be back in business.

Killing the app will prevent the plays from syncing from your phone to iTunes, so I recommend against that.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
This is why I asked earlier if you actually used the Restore option for your iPhone. This sounds like a problem in iOS, which would typically be fixed by a restore.
I did do a restore -- in fact, I did another one, and it still doesn't work correctly.

Quote:
Heck even removing the playlist (unchecking it in iTunes Music section, click Apply, verify the playlist is not there in the Music App and iTunes) and adding it again (check the playlist again and click apply to sync across the current playlist) should fix it.
Tried this; no dice.

Quote:
Removing all Music (uncheck Sync Music in iTunes, click apply) should remove it and you should be able to verify it in iTunes and the Music app. If the music is still there, then you can use Settings->General->iPhone Storage->Music, tap Edit, then tap the delete symbol next to All Songs, then tap Delete to remove all music should do the trick. Sync again and you should be back in business.
Unfortunately, this didnít work either.

Quote:
Killing the app will prevent the plays from syncing from your phone to iTunes, so I recommend against that.
I tried doing all these steps again with the app open and still no change.

I appreciate the attempts at helping. This is really confusing.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM

The only way this can be possible that I can think of is that you have Sync only Checked Songs and Videos set on your iPhone and you have a mixture of checked and unchecked music in your playlist.

Is that setting on for iTunes syncing to your iPhone?

Outside of that, this is impossible. There is no way a clean sync (erase music, verify it is erased, put it back) can produce different results on a device.

Topic: Playlists not syncing to iPhone 8

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.