Lightning Audio - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Lightning Audio

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Junior Lounger

Lightning Audio

I have a question and a short story.
We’ll start with the simple question, has the audio output from the Lightning Port changed from iPhone 6 to iPhone X?

The story behind the question is; just yesterday I replaced my iPhone 6 with an iPhone X. For several years I’ve used the 6 with a Bose Sounddock (Series II I believe? It has the Lightning Connector). It always sounded great, well, good enough for work. A couple weeks ago I got an Oppo headphone amp and was a little disappointed at a number of pops and gaps in the audio, almost like a stream that’s too slow for the content.
So I tried out the new X with the Oppo last night and it sounded great, beautiful, exactly what I had hoped for. Well worth the money. So I get into work today and plug the X into the Sound dock and guess what, now it has the pops, clicks and gaps. Not constant mind you, maybe two or three times in each four minute song. Just enough to be annoying.

So the more involved question is, is there a fix for this? Assuming the answer is no, would I do any better with a Blue Tooth speaker? Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM

Of course Apple does not document the differences. The specifications on their site shows nearly identical information for both phones.

I am assuming this was the same song on both devices. I also assume you did not have WiFi sync running on the iPhone while playing, or automatically updating the apps at the time of playing.

I would think they would be equivalent.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Junior Lounger

No the phone was just playing music in all instances. This was observed over a number tracks, 3+ hours of playback on the Sounddock, and at different places on different playbacks. I’m thinking it’s essentially just obsolete due to some undocumented change. I guess if I only have to change the case and one speaker with a new iPhone I made out okay!

Topic: Lightning Audio

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.