lost option to choose custom alert tone - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: lost option to choose custom alert tone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:37 PM

Junior Lounger

lost option to choose custom alert tone

I have an iPhone x. I plugged it into iTunes when I unplugged it I lost my custom ringtone and custom alert tone (text) I was able to put ringtone back on but cannot for the life of me figure out how to put custom alert tone back on it. It all transported over from my iPhone 7 right out of the box. The ringtones appear on the one page but not the second page. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:24 AM

I added this as a problem I had with iTunes 12.7 and the sync process.

You can add your custom ringtones to your iPhone X by using Manual Sync mode. Plug the phone into iTunes, click on it in the button bar. In the Summary section check Manually Manage Music and Videos then click Apply.

In the left hand side bar you should see your device. And if you click the arrow next to it, it should show you all the different sections including Tones.

Using Windows Explorer, find your ringtone. Drag it from Windows Explorer and drop it onto your device in the left side bar of iTunes. That will add your ring tone to your phone. To complete the process, you must click the Eject button next to your device name every time you want to disconnect. Manual management requires this.

A bit of a warning though. If you have Smart Playlists that depend on playlists on your computer, they will never update in Manual management mode. For me, I chose smart playlists over ringtones. Because once you put it back into automatic mode the ringtone is erased.

Apple documented this process here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Junior Lounger

I should have said it is on the phone where I can't seem to make it a text alert. It used to be but now no option for me on iPhone x to make it a text tone. I see it as a ringtone ..
Old 11-26-2017, 03:19 PM

I don't see the problem. Once added as a ringtone, I can select it for my text tone. It is listed in the ringtones, but you can still select it.

These files have to be .m4r (AAC format) files. You can no longer select music files for ringtones or text tones. Another choice I didn't like in iOS 11.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 PM

Junior Lounger

I know but I have no way of making it an alert tone. Does not give me that option.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Junior Lounger

I see them on the first page of sounds and haptics. Under text tone no custom tones listed. but when I choose ringtones I see them
Old 11-26-2017, 03:35 PM

It is just listed in the ringtones farther down. Who cares where it is categorized as long as you can select it.

As a follow up, since I tried out custom ringtones with a manual sync, switching back to auto-sync didn't erase the ringtones as I expected (and saw happen on iOS 10), so they are still there and ready to use. I am much happier now that I can eliminate the Phone ringtone whether the silence switch is on or off.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 PM

Junior Lounger

I don’t know how to select it as a text tone ..
Old 11-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Settings->Sounds & Haptics->Text Tone
Scroll past the Alert Tones section down to the Ringtones section, it will be at the top of that section.
Tap the one you want and it will play. Tap Back to keep that as your selection.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:54 PM

Junior Lounger

When I do that my 3 custom ringtones are not listed there. They are listed in ringtone section but not in the other ringtone section doesn't make sense,
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM

I would reboot the phone. If that doesn't resolve it, then remove the ringtones and put them back on.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for the input. Figured it out ..the ringtone needed to be 30 seconds or less it was 33 seconds. Weird thing is it worked before..anyway got it figured out...

Topic: lost option to choose custom alert tone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.