Question about iCloud backups - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Question about iCloud backups

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question about iCloud backups

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have a question about iCloud and backups. I have an iPhone 8 from an iPhone 7. I did a backup of my 7 on my computer but couldnít restore it on my 8 because the iOS on my 8 was an older version. I had the beta version on my 7. I did the beta on my 8 and was able to restore but I donít like the betas. My battery life dies way too fast. If I do an iCloud backup on my iPhone 8 and factory reset my 8, will the iOS revert back to the official release? Also will be able to use the iCloud backup to restore my phone without having to add the beta back? My biggest concern is losing my pictures. I just want to be able to restore my phone exactly how I have it now without having to download the beta iOS to my phone. That was the issue trying to restore my iPhone 8 using the back up on my computer that had the iOS beta version. I hope Iím making sense. Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 10:28 AM

No it will not restore.

From Apple's page on uninstalling a beta OS.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282

Quote:
If you back up a device that has iOS beta, the backup won’t work with earlier versions of iOS. For example, if you go back to iOS 10.3.3 from iOS 11 beta, a backup you made while using iOS beta won’t restore. Instead, restore from a backup that you made before you installed iOS beta.
So it looks like you could wait until the release of the OS you are currently using in Beta, and possibly that will restore. For example if you are Beta testing 11.3, you could wait until 11.3 is released, and MAYBE it could restore.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

better backup on computer

Topic: Question about iCloud backups

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.