Can't make calls on other devices / messages wont sync - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't make calls on other devices / messages wont sync

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry Can't make calls on other devices / messages wont sync

Hi all,

Recently I damaged my iPhone 5C, so my husband lent me his (exact same model) to use. I restored the phone to factory (not from my old backup), used my old SIM card, set it up with my iCloud and Mac ID and mostly it works just like my old one. BUT, since then, I'm not able to make calls using my iPad or laptop via my phone/Facetime. I always get a message that the call fails. Strangely, I'm able to receive calls on my other devices, just not call out.

Also, when I send a new message from my iPhone, it doesn't sync with my other devices, but syncing the other way around (iPad/laptop to phone) works.

I should add that making calls and sending messages with the phone itself works fine. It's just that I can't call out using my other devices and messages sent for my phone don't sync to my other devices.

I'm quite certain that all settings are correct on all devices (the iPad is set to make calls using my iPhone with the correct number, send and receive messages settings are correct, etc.).

Any thoughts? I really would rather not have to restore the phone again to try and get this problem resolved. Maybe this is some weird thing that will fix itself down the line?

Thanks to you all!
Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 PM

There are some steps you can try without restoring.

First off, did you turn the forwarding off and on? Perhaps the change in hardware and lack of the restore of the original backup has made a one sided connection. I would try disabling the forwarding and re-enabling it, going through the authorization code process just in case.

After that it is kind of a guess as to what will fix it. I have seen people try the following with mostly good results.

Text Message forwarding
1. Log out and back into iCloud on all devices
2. Turn iMessage off and on in the iPhone's Settings app
3. Disable and re-enable Wi-Fi on all devices
4. Restart all devices

Call forwarding is similar:
1. Reboot all devices
2. Log out and back into iCloud on all devices
3. Turn FaceTime off and back on in the iPhone's Settings app

Let's see if that resolves the issue.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

Fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post

Text Message forwarding
1. Log out and back into iCloud on all devices
Hey there! Actually I only had to go this far to realize that my old phone was still listed under devices in my iCloud account. That's why I couldn't make calls; because that phone was dead and my other devices were looking for that one. So I merely removed it, set up the other one with FaceTime like normal and voila! Easy breezy.

Thank you!!

Topic: Can't make calls on other devices / messages wont sync

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.