2 Phones- 1 about to die, can they be switched? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 2 Phones- 1 about to die, can they be switched?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-13-2017, 06:12 PM

Senior Lounger

2 Phones- 1 about to die, can they be switched?

I have two iPhone 5s. The one I use seems to be on its last legs for no reason, doing things it shouldn't do. Regardless, I have a complete backup of this from a month ago.

Can I use that backup to put on my other iPhone 5s which has barely been used, and somehow get my current number onto this "newer" iPhone 5s?

Thanks in advance.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 05-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Yes.

Though I would try do a couple of things, assuming local iTunes backup.
1. Open iTunes, Edit->Preferences, Devices to see the backup date of that device.
2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
3. Locate the folder with same date, copy it and paste it here (Windows will add a _1 to the name) [this is a copy of the last good backup to prevent losing it]
4. Plug in the dying phone and let it backup.
5. Plug in the other phone, click on it and click Restore Backup...
6. Choose the Backup of your dying phone.

Then power down both phone and swap SIM cards.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-14-2017, 02:45 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Yes.

Though I would try do a couple of things, assuming local iTunes backup.
1. Open iTunes, Edit->Preferences, Devices to see the backup date of that device.
2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
3. Locate the folder with same date, copy it and paste it here (Windows will add a _1 to the name) [this is a copy of the last good backup to prevent losing it]
4. Plug in the dying phone and let it backup.
5. Plug in the other phone, click on it and click Restore Backup...
6. Choose the Backup of your dying phone.

Then power down both phone and swap SIM cards.
Thanks CJ! I might do that. The only thing I'm concerned about is if perhaps the phone is acting up because perhaps there's too much data on it. That is certainly fixable of course by deleting various apps etc.

So question, is there a recommend size of free space the 5s should have to run smoothly? Sort of like Windows, which MS would say you only X Gigs of RAM to run, but in reality you actually needed more to run smoothly.

Both of my 5s are the 16 Gig model. Though under settings>about I read the following:

Capacity 12.13 GB
Available 436.6 MB

Version 10.2

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 05-14-2017, 05:27 PM

There is not a real hard and fast rule with the iPhones. I try to keep at least 250 MB free for incidental use, but that is me, and I do run out of space a lot due to work being on my phone (with their 8-12 apps) using a lot of space. I have 16 GB as well.

10.2 has a vulnerability that should be patched. I recommend going to 10.3.1 to protect yourself from browser based attacks.

There are apps that can cause issues. My date calculator is one that will stop working once the 64 bit iOS is released. And I get a warning about poor performance and incompatibility every time I use it. I'll have to find a replacement soon. If you have these types of apps, replacing them is recommended.

Yesterday I saw 3 different iPhones demonstrate 3 poor behavior yesterday. Maybe there was a time based glitch. One failed to read it's SIM card, one just shut down with 67% battery and refused to boot for 5 minutes, the other was a temporary freeze for several minutes. Maybe yours also handled the issue differently.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
There is not a real hard and fast rule with the iPhones. I try to keep at least 250 MB free for incidental use, but that is me, and I do run out of space a lot due to work being on my phone (with their 8-12 apps) using a lot of space. I have 16 GB as well.

10.2 has a vulnerability that should be patched. I recommend going to 10.3.1 to protect yourself from browser based attacks.

There are apps that can cause issues. My date calculator is one that will stop working once the 64 bit iOS is released. And I get a warning about poor performance and incompatibility every time I use it. I'll have to find a replacement soon. If you have these types of apps, replacing them is recommended.

Yesterday I saw 3 different iPhones demonstrate 3 poor behavior yesterday. Maybe there was a time based glitch. One failed to read it's SIM card, one just shut down with 67% battery and refused to boot for 5 minutes, the other was a temporary freeze for several minutes. Maybe yours also handled the issue differently.
Thanks for the info CJ!

I made a call, it literally didn't finish dialing. Froze, and when I tried to shut it down, the keypad appeared asking me to enter in my code, but the keypad didn't register me touching the screen.

Ultimately after 10 mins I plugged it in to the wall, and it shut down, restarted and worked through some vodoo magic on its own.

I ihaven't used any apps that shoot up the "poor performance" error you observe on any regular basis at all. Not even once a week actually.

Thanks for the OS tip, I'll upgrade it.

It just seems the older the phone gets the more likely it is to start acting up for no known reasons.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C

Topic: 2 Phones- 1 about to die, can they be switched?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.