Scanning Library to See if Song is Actually on Phone

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cucuzza

iTunes version:12.5.5.5
iPhone 7 256GB, iOS version: 10.2.1

Is there a way to do a quick scan of songs loaded on your iPhone via iTunes to see whether they are, in fact, on your phone or not? For example, if I have my phone plugged into iTunes, I see the song on the list when I edit my library manually, but when I double click on it to play the song, the circled exclamation point icon appears indicating the song is not, in fact, on the phone. I would not have known if the song wasn't on the phone until I actually double clicked it to play it in iTunes triggering iTunes to display the circled exclamation point icon (I also discover the song is missing if I'm trying to play it in the Music app and it doesn't play). I would then go, and resync it. I guess this would be considered a synching issue. Point is, I have a large library and I just want to know which songs are actually on my phone and which ones are not based on the list that shows when you manually edit music in iTunes without having to double click every song.

Thanks in advance.

cjmnews

Staff member
I think we have attempted this before. I can't seem to find it now.

What you need is a playlist (normal playlist) of all music that is on your iPhone.
To do this you need to put your iPhone in manually managed mode. This will allow you to create playlists on it. For all of these steps make sure you are in Music mode of iTunes, and you click on your iPhone to have the playlists put there.

First create a normal Playlist on the iPhone (using iTunes) and name it Good.
Click on the Music section of your iPhone in Song view. Select all songs, and drag and drop onto Good.
Note the number of songs in your Song View.
Click on the Good playlist and note the number of songs there. The difference is the number of tracks that do not actually exist on your iPhone. (usually streamed songs that you have not officially synced)

Now use File->New Smart Playlist to make a Bad smart playlist.
The rules are: Match music for ALL rules, Playlist is Music and Playlist is NOT Good, Live updating on. Name the playlist Bad.
The tracks in this playlist are the missing tracks.

Last edited: