lost music - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: lost music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Senior Lounger

lost music

So I got a new iMac, and used Apple's tool for transffering from a windows PC to Mac. Worked a charm mostly - except I have tio learn how photos, mail, file handling etc are different.

My music library mostly went over without a hitch. Problem is while all my itunes music purchases and music CDs ripped since I got an iPhopne and iTunes went over without a hitch. A lot of older nusic that was simply copied and dumped into the default Windows music folder - although it was imported into iTunes - didn't get copied over or can't be found at any rate. Do I have to copy it over manually now? I have a cabel to connect both computers anyway. Yes a question mark appears - also how do I copy it over without losing playcounts etc?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM

One option is to locate the lost music in iTunes. Play a missing track (the ones with the !) and use the Locate button in the prompt to navigate to where the file was dumped, and choose it. That will re-link the song to iTunes and keep your play counts.

The harder way to get your library to the Mac without losing play counts is to copy the entire iTunes folder from the PC to the Mac.

You will have to delete your iTunes folder from the Mac, located in Users\<login>\Music

The copy can be completed with a USB drive, and I believe that the Mac can mount your shared Windows drive if you get an NTFS driver from a third party and load it.

Then you hold the Option key then start iTunes, use the Choose Library button and select the library file from Windows.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-08-2017, 10:40 AM

Senior Lounger

Ha, locating it worked perfectly. All my missing tracks are now back! Thanks friend.

Topic: lost music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.