Correct Way To Share Pics & Calendar - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Correct Way To Share Pics & Calendar

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-31-2016, 10:14 AM

Junior Lounger

Correct Way To Share Pics & Calendar

For a couple of years me and my wife’s phones have shared calendars and photo stream successfully. But I suspect we are going about it the wrong way and I'm not sure how to correct it. Right now we BOTH are signed onto icloud with MY username and password. However, now that our daughter has an iphone I attempted to setup “Find My Friends” so we can all track each other. I can't add my wife's phone because I am already added and I am told I “can't add myself.” Now the dilemma. If I attempt to sign her phone out of my cloud and sign in to her’s I am warned that the phone will delete all cloud data in her phone (photo stream and calendars.) So how do I make this right? I believe after I sign her in to her own cloud I can probably share the calendar and photo stream again thru sharing but I want to be sure I don't lose any data in the process. My calendar is vital to my work! I also want to continue the way things are currently – pics or calendar events added by one of us immediately add to the other’s phone. Can an expert kindly give a step by step to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM

That is one of the difficulties we found with the whole Apple ID and locations with multiple family members.

If I gave my kids separate Apple IDs, then calendar sharing was more complicated. You have to "invite" them to each event. Which is not all that hard (tap Invitees on the event and add them there) but it was not as convenient as just having a different color calendar on the same Apple ID. You also have to manually share photos with the other Apple ID.

If I keep them all on the same Apple ID, then you don't use Find My Friends, you use Find My iPhone. All the devices for your Apple ID show up there. This also saves money on song and app purchases, since one purchase can be used on all phones. If they have a separate Apple ID, then you double (in my case quadruple) purchase lots of things.

Apple prefers that you each have an Apple ID. Obviously it gets them more money, but it also gives every one the privacy they need. They have a feature called Apple Family Sharing (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088) that did not exist when I had 4 iPhones to deal with. Using this you can designate which Apple IDs are part of the Family (up to 6 people) to share app purchases, and music (that are eligible of course).

If you go the Apple Family Sharing route, then you use Find My Friends, as every phone has a unique Apple ID. There is a Family calendar, where shared appointments can be logged and viewed. Sharing photos is a manual event. Location can be shared too.

I have not completed the setup for family sharing because the single Apple ID works for now. I don't want to go through more changes at this time.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for the reply! Ugh! Why did I think this would be an easy fix? Let me confirm, if multiple phones have their own unique cloud accounts, calendar events and stream pics will NOT automatically update to each phone? Even when setup for sharing? If that's true then I will try another way to track our phones. Problem is, while me and my wife's phones use my cloud, my daughter uses her own (don't want to risk her having access to our pics and events.) Can't a family of phones and tablets all work together??? Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:36 PM

In Short:
- Unique iCloud accounts = separate calendars, separate apps/music, separate photos, Find My Friends to track
- Unique iCloud accounts with Family Sharing set up = A shared Family calendar, manual sharing of photos, shared apps/music, Find My Friends to track
- Single iCloud account = combined calendars, combined photo streaming, shared apps/music, Find My iPhone to track

With separate Apple IDs, there is no automatic stream sharing of photos. Calendar events will be shared if logged in the Family Calendar.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 PM

Junior Lounger

Got it. Will do the last option since I am used to the way the calendar and photo stream work currently. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
If I gave my kids separate Apple IDs, then calendar sharing was more complicated. You have to "invite" them to each event. Which is not all that hard (tap Invitees on the event and add them there) but it was not as convenient as just having a different color calendar on the same Apple ID.
Actually, you should still be able to share entire calendars between accounts — this is the approach I've been using for years with calendars, and it generally works better for me as each user can still have their own "personal" calendar, and you can also more effectively control which calendars and users get notifications for shared events and shared calendar changes; in fact, shared calendars are useful for the latter notification scenario, as users can receive notifications when events are added or changed — similar to an invite, but for anything and everything that's changed in the calendar.

If you're using iCloud Family Sharing of course offers the "Family" calendar as an example of this already, but you can share any individual calendar that you create in iCloud with your entire family or a subset therefore (or any iCloud user, really — this is how we manage our "Team" calendar for iLounge in fact).

Quote:
This also saves money on song and app purchases, since one purchase can be used on all phones. If they have a separate Apple ID, then you double (in my case quadruple) purchase lots of things.
While I realize that you're talking about a world before Family Sharing was an option, just to be clear I wanted to point out that this isn't true for the most part at all for Family Sharing. Purchased songs, movies, TV shows, apps, and even iBooks and audiobooks are shared across all users in the same Family group, as long as they remain in the same family group. In fact, purchases are made with the family organizer's payment method (unless the individual user has store credit on their account from a gift card or some such). You can also require purchases or even free downloads made by family members under the age of 18 to require authorization by a user designated as "parent/guardian" before they're permitted.

The only "gotcha" is in-app purchases are not shared between family members, so this is one specific area where a shared Apple ID will have a benefit, so for some apps that can be a nuisance —#especially those "free" apps that use in-app purchases to unlock their full functionality.

Quote:
Apple prefers that you each have an Apple ID. Obviously it gets them more money, but it also gives every one the privacy they need.
I don't think it's about more money, but it's definitely a boon for privacy and not "oversharing" information that's not needed for everybody. A single Apple ID means you're sharing ALL of your calendars, ALL of your contacts, ALL of your Safari bookmarks, keychain passwords (if you've enabled that), and so forth. Further, if you use iCloud for backup, you're sharing a single 5GB pool of data — unless of course you've paid for an upgrade. Separate Apple IDs means that each user gets their own free 5GB base plan, which should be more than enough to backup most typical user's iPhones (keeping in mind that only data gets backed up, not the apps themselves nor cached data that can be re-downloaded from places like iTunes, Gmail, or Dropbox).

Quote:
If you go the Apple Family Sharing route, then you use Find My Friends, as every phone has a unique Apple ID. There is a Family calendar, where shared appointments can be logged and viewed. Sharing photos is a manual event. Location can be shared too.
Actually, you get a "Family" Shared Photo Album as well, although most users will probably prefer to create more specific topical ones, but it's not too onerous, and again many prefer it to sharing their entire photo libraries with their whole family

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: Correct Way To Share Pics & Calendar

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.