iPhone 2G Downgrade - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone 2G Downgrade

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPhone 2G Downgrade

Hello, I'm new on this forum. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Anyway:

I have an iPhone 2G/First Generation that I'd like to downgrade to iOS 1.0. I checked the serial number on one of those websites where you can get the age and stuff and I found out that mine was made in early 2008. Normally I would think that this means I cannot get to iOS 1.0. However, I did manage to get it to 1.1.1 before, which was released in September 2007, before this iPhone was made. Does this mean that it can be downgraded to 1.0? Maybe I can somehow downgrade it to an OS that existed before it?

So, my question is, can I downgrade this 2008 iPhone to 1.0? If not, why does 1.1.1 work?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Since iOS 1.0 was never downloaded (it was installed on the new devices at the time) no one outside of Apple could have that image. So I think that if you got to 1.1.1 that is probably as close as you are going to get to 1.0 without being an Apple employee.

You might get lucky if iOS 1.0 was part of the original SDK, and you can find someone with that.

As for downloaded images you might be able to get as low as 1.0.1 if you can find the image for it. This was before they signed and made updates specific for a particular phone.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Since iOS 1.0 was never downloaded (it was installed on the new devices at the time) no one outside of Apple could have that image. So I think that if you got to 1.1.1 that is probably as close as you are going to get to 1.0 without being an Apple employee.

You might get lucky if iOS 1.0 was part of the original SDK, and you can find someone with that.

As for downloaded images you might be able to get as low as 1.0.1 if you can find the image for it. This was before they signed and made updates specific for a particular phone.
Well, if that's the case, I'm very lucky to have the 1.0 ISPW! I do have a copy for the iPhone 2G.

I have a question: Is it possible to extract IPSW files without Apple's password? If I could get into the contents I could install it on the 2G by installing Apple File Conduit "2".
Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 PM

There are many sites that tell you how to downgrade through iTunes.
Here is the first I found: How to Downgrade from iOS 10 to iOS 9.3.5 on Your iPhone or iPad

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: iPhone 2G Downgrade

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.