Safari Won't Load Website?? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Safari Won't Load Website??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 PM

Senior Lounger

Safari Won't Load Website??

Everything works fine on my iPhone5s. it runs OS 7.1.2.

I was reading the CNN.com site in the Safari browser, a day ago, then the following day it no longer loads. All other sites w/text and graphics load fine, such the NYTimes.com, Fox News etc.

When I go to CNN - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos a thin blue line appears above as if it's loading, takes a few seconds, and then it moves all the way to the right as if the site is completely loaded, EXCEPT the screen is totally white, w/the exception of the web address in the browser bar.

I did the following below to clear the cache and nothing different happened.

I tried using my Wifi connection that didn't change anything either.

My phone has 16Gigs of memory, with a total of 3.62 Gigs free. CNN loaded fine with less storage available.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Launch the Settings app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
Scroll down and tap on Safari.
Now scroll all the way to the bottom and tap on Advanced.
Tap on Website Data. Notice here you can see how much space on your iPhone or iPad website data is taking up.
Scroll to the bottom again and tap on Remove All Website Data.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 12-20-2016, 10:54 AM

I have been seeing that as well on a few sites.

But today both the site that failed yesterday and your cnn site worked.
Are you running an ad blocker? You may need to disable it. Some sites are detecting them and providing no content if they see ad blocking. I usually just move to a different site with the same content.

I am using Ad Mop, but I have not disabled it yet. It is not as good as the blockers I use on my PC, but it helps.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-20-2016, 03:13 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I have been seeing that as well on a few sites.

But today both the site that failed yesterday and your cnn site worked.
Are you running an ad blocker? You may need to disable it. Some sites are detecting them and providing no content if they see ad blocking. I usually just move to a different site with the same content.

I am using Ad Mop, but I have not disabled it yet. It is not as good as the blockers I use on my PC, but it helps.
Hi CJ!!! I'm not running an ad blocker, never have. I ultimately decided to update to 10.2

Is Ad Mop considered to be the best for the iPhone? I downloaded FireFoxFocus, integrated into Safari. I don't get the impression it blocks add, supposedly protects privacy a bit better than w/out it.

What are you using on your PC? I usually use ABP, but on my laptop I've been using uBlock Origin for a variety of reasons. In short it seems more efficient in the reviews I read plus smaller memory footprint.

CNN loads just fine now, can't figure out why. In 10.2 there's only a few new things I like, the News App is pretty cool, though I don't quite understand how it picks articles. It shows articles from magazines I haven't selected. I don't know why-oh well.

Photos don't instantly delete anymore!! Which is a major PITA! I want things to delete instantly, not have to lose more time from my day to go to the Recently Deleted folder to delete AGAIN. I can't believe the idiots at Apple didn't think of making that an option to turn off, as well as decrease the 30 days they remain on the phone. I've never deleted an image by mistake on this phone. Maybe someone has created an app to get around this and delete instantly like it used to be ugh.

The rest of 10.2 doesn't seem that much of a useful change from 7.x to be honest.

I can't believe it took them all this time to add in the useful digitizing feature so people could write in a text or a Note. I feel like Apple has been asleep at the wheel.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C

Last edited by viper69; 12-20-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 AM

Ad Mop was free for a day or two so I picked it up. Not as good as Ublock Origin or ABP.
I like ABP because I can create custom rules to block Yahoo's anti-ad block. Now that I am leaving Yahoo I may go all Ublock Origin.

I have some of the same issues with iOS. I don't like the 2 pages on the Control Panel, the needing to enable star ratings in music, the extra steps needed to rate music, the music app, the podcast app that ignores smart playlists...

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Senior Lounger

I don't like 2 pages of control panel either!

The other feature I don't like is the gray predictive text bar. I liked how it used to be, where a little word "bubble" appeared adjacent to the word one is typing.

Now I have a gray bar which may list the proper word I'm trying to type but I can't tell because I'm looking at what I'm typing NOT what is below my text.

Is there a way to fix that???

I don't use my phone to play music so any changes there are a non issue

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 PM

Yes. Settings->General->Keyboards turn off Predictive.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Senior Lounger

I wasn't clear sorry CJ. I meant switch back to the word bubbles I described

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 PM

That is the step to turn off the bar of predictive words under your typing and go back to the bubbles.

Settings->General->Keyboards turn off Predictive.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM

Senior Lounger

I see now, that worked! Thanks!

Are you aware if the 5s can send "voice" texts? I have the impression from a few sites it cannot.

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 PM

I checked on my wife;s iPhone 5s. Yes it can do the voice text clips with iOS 10

Last edited by cjmnews; 12-22-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: altered context of answer...more clear now
Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 AM

Senior Lounger

Thanks a lot CJ, I'll dig around on the net some more and post back here if I can't find a solution

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C

Topic: Safari Won't Load Website??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.