iOS 10.2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iOS 10.2

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 PM

iOS 10.2

The latest version of iOS 10.2 is out.
Apple has their official list of changes here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893

In the 12 hours that I have had it, this is what I have found:
1. Voice Control seems to be disabled by default. Initially I had to turn on Siri (yuck!) and enable it to be accessed while locked to have my hands free dialing in my car again. I found that in Settings->General->Accessibility->Home Button, you can change the press and hold default from Siri to Voice Control.
2. The Bluetooth improvements removed the "call ended" message between the start up of Siri and Siri prompting you for a command. That is nice. It was a bit confusing to have a call ended message and the connection remain.
3. The videos app has been replaced with a TV app. If you want to watch saved videos, you need to use the photos app, or a 3rd party tool like VLC.
4. 5 star ratings are back in the Music App. Enable them in settings, then you can add your ratings on the go.
5. Smart playlists are still broken...

Post more of your observations...

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Last edited by cjmnews; 12-19-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Found how to have hands free dialing without Siri
Old 01-21-2017, 11:09 PM

Senior Lounger

Finally updated iPhone 6s to this today. Wanted to wait until after holidays to avoid spending time in case of possible issues. Received Apple TV for Xmas, still learning the basics of that. Confused by this TV app, limited support of apps available for it. No BBCA, PBS, hopefully that will improve in the future; for now my provider does not support single sign on so that is annoying.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
3. The videos app has been replaced with a TV app. If you want to watch saved videos, you need to use the photos app, or a 3rd party tool like VLC.
To be clear, that's also only for U.S. users.... for now, at least.

The good news, however, is that you can still download the original Videos app and install it if you'd prefer to use that one for your saved videos. It was published on the App Store along with the other now-removable built-in iOS 10 apps, and it's still there; my understanding is that it will work fine alongside the new "TV" app.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
To be clear, that's also only for U.S. users.... for now, at least.

The good news, however, is that you can still download the original Videos app and install it if you'd prefer to use that one for your saved videos. It was published on the App Store along with the other now-removable built-in iOS 10 apps, and it's still there; my understanding is that it will work fine alongside the new "TV" app.
Thanks, I was excited about this, but I followed the link on the phone and got a grayed out cloud here in the US. Not sure why. Tried searching and browsing in iTunes via PC for apps made by Apple, not finding a result there at all.

edit: This morning I edited the link down to https://itunes.apple.com/app/videos and I got message "Item Not Available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store."

Last edited by Jesse Hollington; 01-24-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Adjusted formatting
Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 AM

The shortened link simply isn't valid, so that's probably why you're getting that error message.

The fact that the original link shows it greyed out is interesting.... I'm in Canada, so I still have the "Videos" app, and not the TV app, but I've heard a lot of reports of success with this in the past, albeit I think some of those users were on the 10.2 betas —reports of problems shortly after 10.2 was released all seemed to be that the Videos app had disappeared from the U.S. App Store, not that it was merely there but couldn't be installed.

One other thing you could try is to delete the "TV" app from your iOS device entirely, and then see if "Videos" installs properly. If you really want the TV app as well, you may be able to reinstall it after the Videos app has already been installed, but if you really don't care to have it at all, then that solves both problems

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Senior Lounger

One thing I've noticed this morning that is new to me and maybe I'm late to the show, but there is a "search history" box now for History in Safari on my phone so that made me very happy. Not sure if it was previously available if you have turned on Spotlight Search for Safari, I never have that toggled on (Googled images of "ios iphone history safari" and don't see that box in the older images so I'm pretty sure it's new...).

Topic: iOS 10.2

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.