a Tale of Four "not-so-smart" Playlists - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: a Tale of Four "not-so-smart" Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcDave View Post
actually just did it. In iTunes it looked fine. So of course I sync it, and I'm back to 1/3 of my library being grayed out with little circles off to the left again...
Sigh.
Looks like another full reset and reload tonight...
Hmm, do you have an Apple Music subscription, with "iCloud Music Library" enabled? If so then it may take time for the changes to sync. But if you're not using this service then yeah, backup/ restore/ reload may be the way to resolve it
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I know I have at least 1 playlist on my iPhone that works this way.

3 that I can think of are:
Unrated Songs
iPhone Audiobooks
individual audiobooks
To be clear, you have a smart playlist that uses the criteria "Playlist Is ..." and that smart playlist will Live Update on your iPhone without you having to re-sync? Call me skeptical, but I've looked at this from every angle and "Playlist Is ..." breaks Live Updating, so I suspect that your playlists aren't using that criteria. Can you confirm, and post your exact smart criteria where you see this working?

Smart playlists will Live Update on the device for certain criteria, like "Last Played" or "Rating", but the minute you make that smart playlist depend on the contents of another playlist then it will no longer Live Update unless you re-sync to iTunes, even if the "referenced" playlist is on the device.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Junior Lounger

I have everything related to the internet and music shut off. Last thing I ever want is no music because I can't get a signal to stream my own music back to me! Seriously, break room at work rarely has more than one bar.

I have encountered this before, and wipe it all, start over seems to be the only fix.

On the plus side, mega mix now seems to be working fine, at least the portion that's actually on my device does! Although it's doing the same update after every completed track thing. Must be a Uconnect quirk. It doesn't seem to happen with lists I choose IN THE CAR, only with those already running.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 PM

Junior Lounger

Today I'm a happy guy. For the first time in over a year all songs and playlists are working just fine.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Awesome
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM

Junior Lounger

Even "Recently Added" now works correctly.

Although with no stars in iOS now I'll still do initial listening in iTunes...
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
To be clear, you have a smart playlist that uses the criteria "Playlist Is ..." and that smart playlist will Live Update on your iPhone without you having to re-sync? Call me skeptical, but I've looked at this from every angle and "Playlist Is ..." breaks Live Updating, so I suspect that your playlists aren't using that criteria. Can you confirm, and post your exact smart criteria where you see this working?

Smart playlists will Live Update on the device for certain criteria, like "Last Played" or "Rating", but the minute you make that smart playlist depend on the contents of another playlist then it will no longer Live Update unless you re-sync to iTunes, even if the "referenced" playlist is on the device.
I feel like we hijacked this thread a bit.

Oh well, it is all related.
I have z-Audiobook Title as a normal playlist
I have Audiobook Title as a smart playlist
- Playlist is z-Audiobook
- Plays is 0

As you play tracks on an iOS device, they get their Play Count updated and fall out of the list. You can't see them fall out until you leave the list and return, but it does work. Use this and remember playback position and I always find my spot in my book.

I have another Audiobook playlist for when I listen to multiple books. The only difference is it is limited to checked items. It works too.

My other playlist that automatically updates is not dependent on another playlist.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 AM

Junior Lounger

Don't worry about highjacking! It all looks related to me.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I feel like we hijacked this thread a bit.

Oh well, it is all related.
Yes, I think so. Being audiobooks, I'm wondering if having a different Media Kind makes the difference? My music smart playlists will not live update on my iOS devices, and have not for years. I know my way around smart playlists very well, so I'm quite confident of the problem.

Having a library that greatly exceeds the capacity of my devices, I have a cascade of playlists to pull from my library based on ratings and play history. So you can see that such a configuration would depend a lot on the "Playlist Is ..." criteria. But I just did an experiment on one of my "root" smart playlists, defined as:

Top-Rated Least-Played
- Match All Criteria:
- Rating is Greater than 3*
- Last Played > 24 months
- Limit to 2 GB, and Select by Least Often Played

To test, I just played a track from this playlist to its completion, then backed out and started playing some other playlist, then went back to "Top-Rated Least-Played" and the song I played is still in there -- so no Live Updating, even though the playlist does not have the "Playlist Is ..." criteria. So something causes this, maybe it is the "Limit to ..." criteria? I can try removing that, but I have to use that in most cases to cap the size of what I'm pulling in from my library.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 PM

I do have one Limit To rule on a smart playlist that is using Playlist Is on my iPod, I'll have to see if it works on the iPhone too.
Mine is a hard coded number, out of a larger playlist, Not Played in the last 7 days, and selected by random.

More testing when I get back from my current trip.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 AM

You're right, that playlist does not work without a sync on iOS. Yet my audiobook ones do.

My guess it the limit to criteria is breaking it.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 PM

The Limit To rule is also breaking the getting of random songs. Yes it gets songs from the other playlist but it is in Purchase order.

Removing the Limit To does not help, as it no longer has a rule to select randomly. I can sort it by last played, and that randomizes it a bit. But if someone (I know who) listens to an entire album in order, guess what I get, that Album in the playlist in that order.

This sucks. Now I remember why I have my stacks of playlists to randomize my songs better.

Too bad smart playlist support on iOS is an after-thought. It could be a real differentiator from Android.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 AM

I submitted this as a bug. Created a simple example for them to see. Screenshots and details.
Since they fixed the 5 stars bug, maybe they'll look at this too.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM

Not fixed in 10.2: Smart Playlist Live Update Issue

But they did add in the 5 star rating capability.
You have to turn it on in Settings->Music
Then the ... on the song will allow you to rate it.

Last edited by cjmnews; 12-14-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Some good news
Old 12-14-2016, 07:10 PM

Progress I guess, but still disappointing that it takes an extra tap to rate a song as compared to before ...

1- Tap "..."
2- Tap "Rate Song ..."
3- Tap stars to select rating
4- Tap "Done" to dismiss

As opposed to ...
1- Tap artwork (way easier for the fat-fingered)
2- Tap stars to select rating
3- Tap artwork to dismiss

I can't understand why tapping artwork can't be utilized as it was before iOS 10. Oh well ...

Topic: a Tale of Four "not-so-smart" Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.