Lighting Headphones vs. Dongle and Bose Earbuds - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Lighting Headphones vs. Dongle and Bose Earbuds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lighting Headphones vs. Dongle and Bose Earbuds

I've been A/Bing Lighting Headphones vs. Dongle and Bose Earbud (IPhone 7+). I am finding that the stock Apple lightning connector ear buds actually sound better...and I am not saying either sounds good....
The dongle and Bose are lacking a solid low end as they had on the IPhone 6. The earbuds are a bit more balanced. Neither sound great.

Kind of a bummer on the lightning dongle.

Time to look into a DAC dongle.

Curious as to others thoughts?
Thanks,
Old 10-14-2016, 01:01 PM

I saw a case was being made to add the headphone jack and lightning charging capability back to the iPhone 7. Maybe that is an option.

I thought the iPhone 7 came with the dongle, silly as it is since you can't charge and listen at the same time.

I personally was not excited about the iPhone 7 due to the lack of a headphone jack, and even more disappointed when people discovered the place where it was is empty. Not even a speaker is there.

The dongle is an option, but it means you have to carry something else with you to listen to your iPhone. I guess you could leave it on the end of your earbuds to have it with you, but it is something just asking to be lost. Why do you think that all the dongles from the 90's on laptops no longer exist? Because it was hard to keep track of them.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Senior Lounger

What do you mean empty? They put the taptic engine where the jack used to be. I too was very unhappy about the removal of the jack. Until I got an iPhone 7 and the awesome Bose QC35. Now I love the freedom from cord and no more getting one caught up in the tray table on my airplane seats. Don't miss it at all anymore.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:33 PM

There is no speaker there under the grill.

Per US rules, you are not allowed to use Bluetooth on an airplane except when taxing after landing.
So get your dongle out so you can use your wired headphones.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Per US rules, you are not allowed to use Bluetooth on an airplane except when taxing after landing
Absolutely false.

When was the last time you flew? I've taken a total of 70 flights so far this year--all using bluetooth devices throughout the flight.

Per FAA: Devices must be used in airplane mode or with the cellular connection disabled. You may use the WiFi connection on your device if the plane has an installed WiFi system and the airline allows its use. You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, like wireless keyboards.

Just turn the bluetooth back on after putting the phone in airplane mode.

Last edited by sallenmd; 10-29-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:32 PM

I fly nearly weekly, have for 3 years now. Every take off they go through their speech, "the use of devices in cellular or Bluetooth mode is prohibited".

Maybe it's just due to the smaller 50 person jet. I don't recall hearing that on my recent Delta flights to Europe, but I tend to zone through the safety briefing after hearing it so often...

Old 10-30-2016, 12:00 AM

Senior Lounger

I fly all of my flights on Delta and they have not said a word about no bluetooth in years. I've even heard them explicitly state that it is fine so long as the phone remains in airplane mode. The FAA has clearly stated that from their perspective, bluetooth is fine throughout the flight. I can't speak to moronic rules that other airlines may have and are free to impose. It don't really care about them because I only fly US airlines other than Delta if absolutely necessary, and have not had that displeasure in a couple of years. Some European airlines also have stupid rules about bluetooth not based on EU regulations. But the truth is that they will never notice that you don't have a cable going from you're phone to your headphones, so I don't bother to turn it off.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 AM

I totally agree they won't notice. There's a guy that has used them at least 4 times on my weekly flight, the flight attendant didn't notice.

It is more along the implication if something did go wrong. Would your family get blamed for a crash if your bluetooth was on and it was announced that you couldn't use it? If they were able to determine that, highly unlikely as it is, then that is a possibility.

The safety speech also has water landing info in it that we don't need since the entire flight is over desert and mountains.

I'd like to include it with a question to the airline I travel with. I see the news articles from 2013 when they relaxed it. But I also see that airlines can restrict beyond FAA regulations. There are some posts about United not allowing wireless mice. So I may be stuck with my antiquated regulations on a small airline.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:33 PM

Senior Lounger

The notion that bluetooth could cause a crash or any other airplane problem is utterly ludicrous. They'd be crashing daily. If aviation is that dangerous, all planes should be grounded immediately and commercial aviation prohibited.

On any given flight many passengers are using bluetooth. I am also quite certain that in the event of a crash, several phones will be found that still have their cellular on. Back when I had a dumb phone, it was not uncommon for me to forget to turn it off because I was not using it in the terminal or after boarding. The only reason cellular is not permitted yet is that they have not yet figured out how to make an airplane full of cellphones not mess with every cellphone tower they pass near.

United's policy says only that cellular transmission needs to be off. Bluetooth is not mentioned and thus is de facto permitted. The FAA and it's European equivalent are quite clear that there is no risk.

Listen carefully next time and I am quite confident that you will hear nothing banning bluetooth on any US airline.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:52 PM

I did listen to the safety speech last Wednesday, which is why I heard the ban and could quote it. The recording said it both directions.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
I did listen to the safety speech last Wednesday, which is why I heard the ban and could quote it. The recording said it both directions.
What horrible airline is that? I will avoid it like the plague. Not that I every want to fly any other than Delta anyway. I have no status on any other airline so I am just cargo on all of them. Diamond on Delta and got a free business class upgrade to Amsterdam tomorrow. Will enjoy Bose bluetooth.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:17 AM

No worries, you can't buy tickets for this airline. You have to work for a certain company...

Old 11-06-2016, 10:38 PM

I asked about the restriction difference between this flight and the FAA.

The restriction is not only announced on the automated safety speech, but also by the flight attendant.

Hopefully I'll get an answer Wednesday when I fly again.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Senior Lounger

Interested to hear. Just got back from 12 days in Denmark. Flew on Delta and KLM, the latter between Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Listened carefully to all safety speeches and device announcements. Bluetooth never mentioned. No hassles from flight attendants about absence of cord, even up and walking around.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:18 PM

I have no answer yet. Last week, we had the Bluetooth restriction announced 3 time each way.

Topic: Lighting Headphones vs. Dongle and Bose Earbuds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.