smartplaylists not on phone ios 10 and other troubles - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: smartplaylists not on phone ios 10 and other troubles

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Senior Lounger

smartplaylists not on phone ios 10 and other troubles

The icons are there but there are NO songs in the actual playlist.

The same happened briefly when I turned on icloud library a month or two ago before I reverted. I also seem to be missing the "optimise space" option in music which I understand is a new feature.

I also don't like that you can't clear the "up next" queue nor can I seem to get rid of the "now playing" bar (when the app is onscreen) one I stop playing.

Otherwise I generally like the music app for ios 10 except for the big issue with smartplaylists and minor nag with "now playing" "up next".
Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM

I noticed the same problem with some, but not all of my smart playlists when I tried iOS 10 in beta (the last GM version). Seeing that I went back to iOS 9 and vowed not to go with 10 until this is resolved (along with star ratings, can't believe they removed that in iOS 10!!!!).

I can't say what the problem is with smart playlists, seemingly no correlation between conditions and symptoms. I have two identical smart playlists that only differ by song rating (i.e. >3 stars and the other >2 stars) where one of them is empty on the iPhone and the other appears fine. Once back on iOS 9 the empty playlist went back to behaving normally.

This is actually a good sign in that "stacked" smart playlists in general still work. I say this because both playlists rely on the contents of another playlist (which in turn relies on a sum of many others). The disparity between the two examples tells me that the "Playlist Is ..." criteria itself is not broken, since many of my smart playlists were fine under iOS 10. I suspect that there is some odd problem lurking in the iOS 10 code, which hopefully will be address in a .x release someday.

So for now I'll stay on 9.3.5, which is a bummer since I want to update my Watch to its new OS. I believe that Apple should still be signing 9.3.5 for a very short period, so if you know how to roll back your iOS version then do so today.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 AM

Senior Lounger

Well, your post made me look and lo and behold, some of my playlists were fine - I went home and changed the ones that were not working properly to match the same criteria and they all appeared on my phone fine. Which is a relief, I didn't want to have to google how to downgrade back to ios 9 when otherwise ios 10 has been excellent on my iPhone.

I'm shocked they removed star ratings as well, glad they are still on iTunes but for how long??
Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Well, your post made me look and lo and behold, some of my playlists were fine - I went home and changed the ones that were not working properly to match the same criteria and they all appeared on my phone fine. Which is a relief, I didn't want to have to google how to downgrade back to ios 9 when otherwise ios 10 has been excellent on my iPhone.

I'm shocked they removed star ratings as well, glad they are still on iTunes but for how long??
What did you have to do to the "problem" playlists to get them to work? Just curious what the root issue may be if you found a change that made the difference. Or, did you simply go into edit mode and not make any changes? Please let me know so in case I get brave this weekend and attempt iOS 10.

As for ratings, it is a curious thing. In iTunes 12.5.1 the star ratings are alive and well, and more prominent than ever with the bright blue color. Yet on iOS they're gone. I'm hoping it really was just an oversight and not an indication of where Apple is going with respect to iTunes and music management with smart playlists.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 AM

Senior Lounger

Ok, my 80s playlist (called 80s DJ) has two criteria: "last played" is not in the last 3 weeks, and source is another playlist just called 80s (most of my playlists are like that-from the time I had an iPhone 4 with only 32 GB and could not fit all my music I just put the "DJ" lists on my phone or selected complete albums). All of the problem playlists had more criteria including rating filters (song is more than 2 stars) or playcount is not zero. I can't explain it but when I copied the same criteria as the 80s list the others were loaded onto my phone.

Funny thing is a similar issue with empty smartplaylists sprung up with a very brief experiment with icloud library in the summer (I reverted as it was messing up my existing library).
Old 09-16-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks, so it sounds like you made a change to a lower-level playlist, then the upper "80s DJ" playlist then populated OK on your iPhone.

Was this playlist ever empty in iTunes, or was it only empty on your iPhone with IOS 10? In my case, all the empty playlists were that way only on my iPhone, not iTunes. And no, I don't use iCloud for my music in any way.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Senior Lounger

No, none of my playlists were empty in iTunes, only on my phone. I'm at home now and can open my iTunes. Anyway, I think you have it backwards. I didn't change the low level static list. To go back to the 80s playlist example, I started it back in 2011 with my first iPhone I simply ripped my 80s compilation series and created a static list with all the songs on it (minus some extra cheesy ones - no seriously even cheesy for the 80s) . I created a smaller list - I forgot some criteria - pointing to the longer list and limited to 40 items.

Ok looking at the dialog box for my DJ list:

Match music for all of the following rules is checked.
Playlist is "Best of 70s and 80s" [oops forgot the full title]
All of the following rules
Last played is not in the last 3 weeks
Last skipped is not in the last 2 weeks
Limit to 40 items selected by random
Match only checked items - checked
Live updating - checked though still useless on my iPhone even though I now have my whole library (52 GB and 6552 songs) downloaded.

So take it as you may, if you are really worried hold off on ios 10 until the first or second updates and until you hear feedback from other users. Pretty sure Apple have stopped signing off on ios 9 already anyway. Perhaps if you have mroe than one ios device try that?

Wise decision to not use iCloud library, though I use Apple Music - I guess if I really like an album - I'll purchase it and load it on.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM

Well I got curious/brave enough to install iOS 10 on my iPad. Sure enough, several of my smart playlists were empty. But I did find a simple solution ...

First I tried an old trick of just editing, saving, re-editing, and saving again. Just a simple change to the criteria, then re-sync. That fixed it ... but I have dozens and dozens of smart playlists.

Then I tried unchecking an empty playlist from my iPad's sync profile, re-synced to remove it, then checked the playlist and re-synced again. That did it! Much easier than editing all my playlists, so I've now added iOS 10 to my iPhone and watchOS 3 to my AW.

So something in the playlist definitions with respect to the onboard iOS database requires them to be re-read, which happens when you edit them, or if you remove and re-add them.

Now if only Apple would return the 5 star rating system to iOS ... for now I'm using a 3rd party music app (Marvis, but there are others) which provide access to the stars and changes actually sync back to iTunes. I really hope that when macOS Sierra comes out next week that ratings aren't removed from iTunes!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Senior Lounger

Thumbs up 10.2 stars back????

Just a bump to let you all know it seems the latest beta ios 10.2 seems to have restored star ratings! Although my work has a developer account, I only have my personal device to test at the moment and would rather see if a test device confirms it. Can anyone here confirm?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM

I can't update my device to beta, but I did check and my bug that the star rating system missing on iOS is still open.

I would be interested to know too.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 PM

10.2 does have the 5 star rating system back.
Enable it in Settings->Music
then the ... on the song allows you to rate it.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: smartplaylists not on phone ios 10 and other troubles

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.