iPhone vs iPod Classic - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone vs iPod Classic

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-11-2014, 05:10 PM

Pro Lounger

iPhone vs iPod Classic

I love the capacity of my 160gb Classic iPod, and bought another to throw in a drawer for when mine dies in the future. When they are both gone, I am thinking the iPhone with 128gb will come close to satisfying my desire to bring loads of audio and video on vacations. When I played with using the iPhone for music and video years ago (I solely use the Classic for this now), the iPhone had serious issues with playlists in that live updating did not work for playlists like it does so well on the Classic. (e.g. I would have many playlists that would have rules such as "song not played in the last 10 days and rated 4 and up by an artist". Songs I play would not drop off the playlist when played.) I am wondering if this is still true or has Apple fixed this?

160 gb Classic Video iPod
128 gb iPad Pro (Nov 2015)
iPhone 6 Plus
iMac
Old 10-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

The iPad classic is now discontinued
Old 10-11-2014, 07:30 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by col.bris View Post
The iPad classic is now discontinued
Correct. This is why I bought the backup to throw in a drawer. I'm thinking ahead for when they are all gone.

160 gb Classic Video iPod
128 gb iPad Pro (Nov 2015)
iPhone 6 Plus
iMac
Old 10-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Live Updating on iOS devices does not work for many (but not all) smart playlist criteria, they'll update only when re-synced to iTunes. It has been this way since iOS 3.1. The "Playlist is ..." criteria does not do Live Update on the device without a re-sync.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Sort of.

If all the tracks for the live update are on the device and you exit the playlist and come back into it, the Live update will happen.

I use it for audiobooks, so I know it still works in this manner.

The Sync with iTunes is a sure way to get them to run. Especially if the tracks are not all on the device. Seems to be the rule with iPods and IOS devices.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
If all the tracks for the live update are on the device and you exit the playlist and come back into it, the Live update will happen.
That's not true for many smart playlists -- the "Last Played" and "Playlist Is .." criteria are known to break Live Updating, and exiting and re-entering the playlist does not help. Even if you have the necessary playlists on the device the "Playlist Is ..." criteria does not Live Update, period.

Very simple smart playlists, such as those based only on rating, do Live Update on the device as you've described. But any complexity in an SPL seems to break this feature, which was a great thing to have and I miss it.

I can't understand why it has been this way since iOS 3.1 ... if a Classic can handle the logic, surely modern iOS devices can. I have to believe that there is a fundamental flaw in iOS that just hasn't gotten Apple's attention, despite folks reminding them of this on their feedback page with each iOS release.

Topic: iPhone vs iPod Classic

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.