iPhone Screen Protector / Quality and Price - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone Screen Protector / Quality and Price

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPhone Screen Protector / Quality and Price

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, so hello everybody

Do you know of a couple of quality and reasonable price Screen Protectors? I have seen a couple of films around $40 and it seems a bit overprice. I don't know if is the same a screen protector than other "glass" films which are supposed to make the screen unbreakable.

Any suggestions recomendation or else?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 AM

I don't recommend the glass protectors. They are overpriced and, once they are scratched (which will happen), you have to spend another $30-$40 just to replace them. You would be better off spending $7 and getting a 3-pack of Tech Armor screen protectors off of Amazon. That's all I've ever used since owning my iPhone 5 and I have replaced the screen protector once during my (near) 2 years of ownership. You can go with a standard clear (and glossy) screen protector or one that is matte which reduces glare and fingerprints. I purchased a 3-pack of matte screen protectors right before my iPhone 5 was sent to me and I highly recommend them.

Some people don't like the matte protectors but I do. It has allowed me to use my iPhone in more direct sunlight without issues, I'm not constantly wiping the screen, and the screen protectors have actually protected my iPhone against a drop on asphalt (hence why I had to replace the protector, once).

Don't get sucked in by those overpriced glass screen protectors. They aren't worth the money, glass can still break and get scratched, and they are much thicker than the film screen protectors.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
I don't recommend the glass protectors. They are overpriced and, once they are scratched (which will happen), you have to spend another $30-$40 just to replace them. You would be better off spending $7 and getting a 3-pack of Tech Armor screen protectors off of Amazon. That's all I've ever used since owning my iPhone 5 and I have replaced the screen protector once during my (near) 2 years of ownership. You can go with a standard clear (and glossy) screen protector or one that is matte which reduces glare and fingerprints. I purchased a 3-pack of matte screen protectors right before my iPhone 5 was sent to me and I highly recommend them.

Some people don't like the matte protectors but I do. It has allowed me to use my iPhone in more direct sunlight without issues, I'm not constantly wiping the screen, and the screen protectors have actually protected my iPhone against a drop on asphalt (hence why I had to replace the protector, once).

Don't get sucked in by those overpriced glass screen protectors. They aren't worth the money, glass can still break and get scratched, and they are much thicker than the film screen protectors.
Thanks for the good info and fast reply

Sorry i am sort of newbie with this issue but what is the difference between a Tech Armor screen protector and those other overpriced films? Is Tech Armor a regular screen film to avoid finger prints or does it have some others special features compared to generic films?

I have read many good comments on the Matte protector. If you use this protector version wouldn't you see the photos a bit dull and lack of contrast?

I also planning to get an Otterbox Defender case will it work with it?

Sorry for so many questions.

Cheers,

Last edited by uzapuca; 06-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM

There really is no difference between the overpriced films and less expensive ones from Tech Armor. Some might be a little thicker but they are still going to get nicked, scratched, etc. just as easy as the Tech Armor ones. Tech Armor protectors are pretty "generic" but I find that they are higher quality compared to other no-name protectors. They are easier to install, easier to see through, etc. Generic screen protectors tend to come off after a while or are cloudy. The Tech Armor ones are priced the same as generic screen protectors but they are a step above. Like I said, I put one on my iPhone 5 the day I received it and didn't have to replace it for a while, over a year after I put the screen protector on.

I use the matte screen protector as it is really good at hiding fingerprints, smudges, and it reduces glare making outdoor use a little easier. Some people say it reduces the "resolution" of the iPhone's display but that's not technically correct. Nothing out there will reduce the resolution of the iPhone's display, that is set by the actual display itself. It does add a slight "grainy" layer to everything, it's kind of hard to explain. Watch the movie 300 on Blu-ray, with an HDTV and HD connection, and you'll kind of know what I mean. It isn't bad by any means and, to me, is worth not having to wipe down my iPhone's display once a day.

I did use my iPhone 5, with the matte screen protector, in an Otterbox Defender for a while. It fits just fine and actually helps the Defender case as there is often a small gap between the built-in screen protector of the Defender and the iPhone's display. A screen protector fills this gap in making the Defender a better case. Having said that, you likely don't need a Defender case. They are extremely bulky, heavy, and really only worth it if you constantly drop your phone on concrete from heights of 5ft or greater. I think you would be better off with their Symmetry case or even their Commuter case. Both provide drop protection but aren't nearly as bulky as the Defender. Plus they don't cover up the iPhone's display with a cheap built-in screen protector.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 06-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

I used to have a screen protector and I do not want it any more. I prefer some nice, quality case which will cover whole my iPhone. Last one i bought from design company belenty
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
There really is no difference between the overpriced films and less expensive ones from Tech Armor. Some might be a little thicker but they are still going to get nicked, scratched, etc. just as easy as the Tech Armor ones. Tech Armor protectors are pretty "generic" but I find that they are higher quality compared to other no-name protectors. They are easier to install, easier to see through, etc. Generic screen protectors tend to come off after a while or are cloudy. The Tech Armor ones are priced the same as generic screen protectors but they are a step above. Like I said, I put one on my iPhone 5 the day I received it and didn't have to replace it for a while, over a year after I put the screen protector on.

I use the matte screen protector as it is really good at hiding fingerprints, smudges, and it reduces glare making outdoor use a little easier. Some people say it reduces the "resolution" of the iPhone's display but that's not technically correct. Nothing out there will reduce the resolution of the iPhone's display, that is set by the actual display itself. It does add a slight "grainy" layer to everything, it's kind of hard to explain. Watch the movie 300 on Blu-ray, with an HDTV and HD connection, and you'll kind of know what I mean. It isn't bad by any means and, to me, is worth not having to wipe down my iPhone's display once a day.

I did use my iPhone 5, with the matte screen protector, in an Otterbox Defender for a while. It fits just fine and actually helps the Defender case as there is often a small gap between the built-in screen protector of the Defender and the iPhone's display. A screen protector fills this gap in making the Defender a better case. Having said that, you likely don't need a Defender case. They are extremely bulky, heavy, and really only worth it if you constantly drop your phone on concrete from heights of 5ft or greater. I think you would be better off with their Symmetry case or even their Commuter case. Both provide drop protection but aren't nearly as bulky as the Defender. Plus they don't cover up the iPhone's display with a cheap built-in screen protector.
Thanks kornchild2002 for the great info and detail

I have never thought of the Otterbox Defender as being an inconvenience in use. They did have score very high on iLounge reviews that i thought it was the ultimate protection, quality and easy to use. Maybe is not like that as you said.

I currently have an iPhone 3GS with SwitchEasy Colors. I buy it because of iLounge very good reviews. Now i am planning to buy an iPhone 5 or 5S -haven't decided yet- i know they are very easy to scratch and not as solid as older iPhones i thought maybe the Defender was a good choice.

Do you have any other iPhone 5 case suggestions behind the Otterbox brand? Since it seems you know a lot about the subject it will be great to hear your thoughts on that.

Thanks again and cheers,
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman View Post
I used to have a screen protector and I do not want it any more. I prefer some nice, quality case which will cover whole my iPhone. Last one i bought from design company belenty
Hi appleman, thanks for sharing your ideas
I checked the Belenty website and even the cases looks great -fine leathers and so forth- they don't seem to give real protection to its screen and accidental drops. It is a nice case for using inside a bag or purse i guess.

Any other suggestion on case design that came to your mind?

Best,
Old 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM

I have gone through quite a few cases. I have an OtterBox Defender, an OtterBox Prefix, a LifeProof fre, standard Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, a white rubber case made to look like a Game Boy, and a few others. I have my iPhone in the Belkin case on a daily basis. It is thin, still has some drop protection, and has a raised edge so the front of the screen doesn't touch anything when I lay it face down on a desk (though it also has a matte screen protector). I find it more than adequate for daily use and it was only $5. My OtterBox Prefix was destroyed from daily use, the rubber started peeling away and the green quickly turned to blue from putting my iPhone inside my various jean pockets. It was also almost as bulky as a Defender case so I don't recommend it.

I use my LifeProof case the second most. It has the same level of drop protection as the Defender but it also protects against water. I often take my iPhone to the pool with me and use it while I'm actually in the pool. There are two things I don't like about the LifeProof case: the built-in plastic screen cover is much like the OtterBox Defender one (there's a gap between it and the phone) and you have to use a headphone extension cable when using wired headphones. That's why I stopped using the LifeProof case on a daily basis but it comes in real handy for controlling music on a Bluetooth speaker when at the pool without having to get up out of the pool to change songs.

There's really a case out there for any type of situation, it all depends on what level of protection you are looking for (based on what you actually need, not what you think you need), how much you want to spend, and what kind of features you can't live without (like having direct access to the headphone port).

Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
I have gone through quite a few cases. I have an OtterBox Defender, an OtterBox Prefix, a LifeProof fre, standard Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, a white rubber case made to look like a Game Boy, and a few others. I have my iPhone in the Belkin case on a daily basis. It is thin, still has some drop protection, and has a raised edge so the front of the screen doesn't touch anything when I lay it face down on a desk (though it also has a matte screen protector). I find it more than adequate for daily use and it was only $5. My OtterBox Prefix was destroyed from daily use, the rubber started peeling away and the green quickly turned to blue from putting my iPhone inside my various jean pockets. It was also almost as bulky as a Defender case so I don't recommend it.

I use my LifeProof case the second most. It has the same level of drop protection as the Defender but it also protects against water. I often take my iPhone to the pool with me and use it while I'm actually in the pool. There are two things I don't like about the LifeProof case: the built-in plastic screen cover is much like the OtterBox Defender one (there's a gap between it and the phone) and you have to use a headphone extension cable when using wired headphones. That's why I stopped using the LifeProof case on a daily basis but it comes in real handy for controlling music on a Bluetooth speaker when at the pool without having to get up out of the pool to change songs.

There's really a case out there for any type of situation, it all depends on what level of protection you are looking for (based on what you actually need, not what you think you need), how much you want to spend, and what kind of features you can't live without (like having direct access to the headphone port).
Thanks for the very good info and data
I think i will look for a medium protective style of case i could wear on daily basis. OtterBox Defender looks very good but maybe is as you said too bulky for everyday. Neverthteless, the worst part could the cheap film protector. What is the point of having a $25 case with a no good screen film, right?

What model of Belkin do you use by the way?

Best,
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 PM

It is the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. Search for that in Amazon or Google and you will find it. I have the black and green model.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
It is the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. Search for that in Amazon or Google and you will find it. I have the black and green model.
Thanks again for the good info. The black and green model is quite nice indeed.

Best,
Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Reiner64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman View Post
I have my iPhone one on all screen protector. It proved, because to see was never a scratch. I can only recommend its use.

Topic: iPhone Screen Protector / Quality and Price

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.