Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Will Restore... restore my problems?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

Will Restore... restore my problems?

I have an iPhone 4 and since updating to iOS 7 have had a problem with slowness and non-responsive screen. It will eventually respond, but it takes forever.

I only keep a few apps open, I repeatedly restart, etc...

Today I am going to wipe the iPhone and load up iOS 7 fresh. Here is my question -- after doing the fresh install, should I restore my data or will that bring back the issues?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 PM

It may or May nit solve your problem. The main issue is that iOS 7 is slow on the iPhone 4 irregardless. It wasn't optimized for the older hardware so it's going to provide a slow experience no matter what you do. I suggest restoring the iPhone and then syncing from your backup. See how it runs and , if everything is fine, you're good to go. Now, if it runs slow. Restore the iPhone and don't sync from a backup. Try using it for a little bit and see if it's still just as slow. If it is, you can restore the phone and sync it from an olde backup. I seriously doubt there will be much you can do unless you're running a really bad app. Have you tried closing all the open apps, restarting, and slowly opening one by one to see when your iPhone takes a real hit?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

iOS 7 did not work well on an iPhone 4 for me either but I use it to it's fullest. It worked OK for my sister and nephew which both are what I would call average users. For myself video was OK but painful with frequent freezes in the video. Downcast, my favourite podcast and most used app was kind of like running a high demanding program on an under powered Win 95 computer. It was useable but constant freezing made it very painful to use especially when the podcasts were updating. My iPad 3 and my iPhone 5s with faster processors work great. It would have pi$$ed me off if Apple would not have allowed the iPhone 4 to update to iOS 7, but after doing it I with they had. With that said, it worked good for my sister and her son.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

I did restore my iPhone from the backup, and had the same issues, so I did a wipe and started fresh with no data restored, and only a few essential apps. It was no better.

Very frustrating that my iPhone 4 worked great with iOS 6 and I can't go back to it after upgrading to iOS 7. It more-or-less is forcing me to purchase a new iPhone, which I really did not want to do.

I appreciate both of your responses.

Best Regards,
James
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Veteran Lounger

There is many tutorials online on how to re-install iOS 6 which are as easy to find as a search on Google.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Will Restore... restore my problems?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.