Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What to do with my Verizon iPhone 4S at end of contract?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

What to do with my Verizon iPhone 4S at end of contract?

Me and my girlfriend are on a shared plan, both iPhone 4S and the plan is coming to an end. We are pretty happy with the 4S but realize that staying on Verizon we will just continue paying the same rates as if we bought a new device.

Since we can't take the Verizon 4S to T-Mobile with us, what is the best course of action? It feels like we are compelled to upgrade with T-Mobile, even though we wouldn't mind keeping the 4S. We just don't want to continue being ripped off at Verizon.

Thoughts?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Well, you aren't really being ripped off at Verizon. You are paying the rate that you agreed to by signing your two year contract. It would be absolutely no different than had you signed a two year contract with T-Mobile, at&t, Sprint, etc. T-Mobile has been able to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and convince people to switch over to their crappy service (yes, it is crappy) because they won't be signing a contract with the devil and it is somehow going to save them $500 a month. Remember what people would normally do once their contracts were out? They would buy a new phone and go through the process all over again. That has been the normal practice since the beginning, I'm not sure why it would be any different now.

Your wanting to switch to an inferior carrier aside, what you can do is restore your iPhone with iTunes (erasing everything on it) and sell it on eBay for about $250 (assuming you have the 16GB version) Unfortunately the iPhone 4S for Verizon is locked into their frequency spectrum, it isn't a "universal" phone like the iPhone 5.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Junior Lounger

what to do

If you want to keep them and save money on bill. Check out Page Plus. They have a plan that is 55.00 even no tax . unlimited text and pictures and 2 gb. of data. You use the same phone as now and it is on Verizons network. It is prepaid plan. They take 55 out of your account every month.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 AM

Freshman Lounger

Use your 4s as an iPod, load some games on it and give it to a young family member or sell it, Gazelle is a great place to sell as is eBay or Craig's list for top dollar. You will be much better off in the long run.

T-Mobile is actually a great company with great service. Do they have the coverage of Verizon? No but the question you need to ask yourself is, do you need that? If you live within a city of any reasonable size you will have good coverage. It is only when you get off of the beaten trail that you don't. So if you live in a small town in the middle of Nevada ya T-Mobile might not be the best choice. I live in a town of less then 100k with no problems which also happens to be in the portion of the US with the least T-Mobile coverage (Pacific NW)

T-Mobile has great pricing and are even still offering a $30 dollar prepaid with 100 talk minutes, unlimited text & Data (5gb at 4g down to 3G after) which works great for me as I don't hardly ever use my phone to actually talk anymore. If you decide to use a provider that piggy backs on any other US carrier such as Page plus keep in mind that your calls and data have a lower priority on those towers then the supervising companies subscribers. In other words you will get dropped calls in high traffic areas guaranteed. Watch for data speed limitations in the fine print. Customer service is also usually subpar with such companies. PTell being one of the few exceptions but they are GSM not CDMA.

You have much more freedom on GSM and unless the FCC makes locking phones illegal (it just might actually) good luck getting your Verizon phone working anywhere but Verizon. I had Verizon for many years and ditched them because like you I was tired of being robbed. Why should I pay subsidized phone prices for plans when my phone is already paid for? Ya doesn't make sense and just because it has "always been that way" is not a compelling argument to justify it. If you decide you don't like T-mobile then you simply take your business to AIO (which is owned by AT&T) or PTell or any of the *Multiple* other GSM focused companies. You lose nothing because you're not locked into a contract and yes with GSM it's that easy! Not so with Verizon CDMA and anyone who tells you different is badly mistaken or ill informed.

Last edited by MikeL1771; 09-24-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornchild2002
T-Mobile has been able to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and convince people to switch over to their crappy service (yes, it is crappy) because they won't be signing a contract with the devil and it is somehow going to save them $500 a month.
Not sure what you are referring to by crappy service. Is it because of dropped calls, lousy customer service? I am asking because my family has little issues with T-Mobile and from my location I have fewer dead spots than what Verizon coverage offers. We are a multi phone house hold, with one iPhone 4s, one Blackberry 9700, and two Samsung Galaxy S4's and have yet to see any major issues with any of them. As for me personally, I don't recall that many dropped calls on my S4 and my daughter is very happy with her 4S. YMMV.

iPod Touch 4G 64GB-iPod Classic 160GB - Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320

Last edited by musichound; 10-14-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM

I speek from personal experience. I have a few friends who go through t-mobile. We are all in the Cincinnati area and they chose t-mobile due to their lower overall prices. One friend has a "4G" phone and the other has a 4G LTE labeled smartphone. The 4G service that one friend receives clocks in at about 1.5Mbps while the friend with a t-mobile 4G LTE phone connects at 4Mbps. Those connection speeds are pathetic to say the least especially when I'm getting 20Mbps in my office and 45Mbps when I step outside, all through Verizon's 4G LTE service. Not only that but there are dead spots in neighborhoods where they drop down to 3G or 2G while I'm still having a 4G LTE connection of 30Mbps through Verizon. They both lose their "4G" connections anytime we drive outside of the 275 loop surrounding the city. When driving to Columbus, they will either be 3G or 2G until we get within a 5 mile radius of the city. My iPhone connects at a solid 4G LTE the whole way there.

Now, when I go back home to Southern New Mexico, I still retain 4G LTE all the way there except for a 100 mile stretch of road in the middle of Texas (between El Paso and San Antonio). That's the only spot where I dropped down to 3G. My friend lost coverage all together once getting 30 miles West of San Antonio and didn't get it back until we were much closer to El Paso (about 200 miles East). Once we got to El Paso, their 4G service was spotty at best yet I had a solid 4G LTE connection.

When driving to South Carolina from Cincinnati, I had 4G LTE all the way with connection speeds between 10-40Mbps depending on the city. The same friend dropped to 3G once we got outside of the 275 loop and didn't pick up 4G at all until we arrived at Charleston. That is with two different phones too. They had a Galaxy SII on the way to New Mexico and an S4 when we went to Charleston. Two different phones and the same crappy service experience.

Pile those experiences up along with the (maybe) $12 a month they are saving by using t-mobile over Verizon and you can see where I am coming from. It's not like Cincinnati or Charleston are two hick bum towns out in the middle of nowhere. Cincinnati has two professional sports teams with over a quarter million people in the proper downtown area alone. Including the metro areas, it is the 28th most populated cities in the U.S. (ahead of New Orleans, Milwaukee, and even Las Vegas). It has solid 4G LTE service from Verizon, decent LTE service from the hometown provider, at&t covers it OK with LTE, and Sprint even provides better LTE service than t-mobile here. If t-mobile can't even properly cover a city with a professional football team (along with being flaky on two road trips covering over 2200 miles of the U.S.), I would say they are pretty bad.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Pro Lounger

Yes, Kornchild understood based on your experiences. I guess it varies by location though. My 4GLTE actually is as good or better than my wireless laptops on my Verizon router. For example, I just downloaded 9MB in about 12 seconds, and that's about as good as my wireless laptop. P.S. My 4GLTE in NYC is pretty rock solid. However, it can vary by phone also. When I had the original Samsung Galaxy, download speeds on the 4G network were mediocre at best, and constantly bounced out of coverage very often. The other phones in my household, however, are passing the test of time.

Last edited by musichound; 10-14-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM

9MB in 12 seconds translates to ~0.77 MB/s. That's slower than what 3G is in my area and I normally connect at 45Mbps (or 5.63 MB/s). People with t-mobile, Sprint, at&t, and Cincinnati Bell 4G LTE get about 0.5-1MB/s in areas where I get my 5.63MB/s. If I'm seeing over 5 times the speeds of others, I am going to continue to recommend Verizon. Given my experiences driving across the U.S. multiple times (and through different routes), I am still going to recommend Verizon as they really are the fastest 4G LTE network with the most coverage.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Pro Lounger

OK, I am happy you pointed this out. I will double check. I timed it manually by counting without using a timer and will update when I try again in a more formal environment.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 PM

Pro Lounger

OK, I downloaded an app that tests the download and upload speed of my phone, and when I was outside I got anywhere between 18 and 34 MBS, which is quite good in my opinion. The irony is that in my location, Sprint is said to have the poorest service, so I guess it does depend on the city or location. Based on my findings, I would recommend T-Mobile for NYC residents, but not sure about other locations.

Back on topic, I agree with some other people as to use the 4S as a music player, which would be just as good or better than a 4G iPod Touch.

P.S. Sorry that I threw this thread into a tangent. Please feel free to delete these posts, or move them to a new thread to continue the conversation.

Last edited by musichound; 10-14-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 AM

18-34 MB/S? That's impossible. The circuitry in smartphones are incapable of handling such download speeds. 18-34Mbps? That's definitely reasonable and expected with a proper 4G LTE connection. You didn't really throw this thread into a tangent. The OP made one post over a month ago and has not returned. The thread has long been dead in terms of activity from the OP. Might as well discuss something, which is still related, in the thread.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
18-34 MB/S? That's impossible. The circuitry in smartphones are incapable of handling such download speeds. 18-34Mbps? That's definitely reasonable and expected with a proper 4G LTE connection. You didn't really throw this thread into a tangent. The OP made one post over a month ago and has not returned. The thread has long been dead in terms of activity from the OP. Might as well discuss something, which is still related, in the thread.
Sorry, my error. I meant 18 - 34 Mbps. I forgot to lower case the letters before, and I'm in IT. I used one of those Speed Test apps to determine this.

And thanks, it was on my mind that I might have derailed the thread, so I'm happy it wasn't so.

Topic: What to do with my Verizon iPhone 4S at end of contract?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.