icloud - Outlook2003 - Sync Questions - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: icloud - Outlook2003 - Sync Questions

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM

Junior Lounger

icloud - Outlook2003 - Sync Questions

When I setup my i-phone a year ago, I refrained from setting up i-cloud because I have Outlook 2003 and it said that I must use 2007 or later. I manually sync my calendar and contacts. This works OK (some issues - see other posts.) But I would love to be able to have new events /contacts, photos, etc. "push" to all the devices in my family, so I'm considering setting it up anyway. After some research, I'm wondering if I need to use Outlook at all. The icloud setup page has contacts and calandar on it already (the same look as on my phone.) Are they stand-alone programs that can supplant my Outlook - or does the icloud require that my PC has Outlook to work? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM

You can easily replace Outlook with iCloud and reap many benefits. To use iCloud you don't need Outlook at all, and you can access your iCloud e-mail right from your PC's browser (note that some browsers like Chrome aren't supported). From your browser you can also access your Contacts to add/delete/edit them, or create or edit Notes that are shared across multiple iOS devices that are linked to your iCloud account.

But first, keep in mind that an iCloud account isn't necessarily an e-mail account, a lot of people miss that point. Some use iCloud only for iOS backups, Photo Stream, Contacts, Find My iPhone, and Notes. To get iCloud e-mail you have to do an extra step to establish an iCloud e-mail address for your account, but that is optional and many people don't even do that.

Second, an iCloud account is actually a separate account from your iTunes Store account. Although they are typically the same ID, they don't have to be. This is relevant in situations where you may want to share an ID in your family for purchases, but separate IDs for iCloud e-mail, etc.

Third, you can actually have more than one iCloud account. One has to be designated as a primary account on an iOS device, but you can set up extras if you want them for different purposes.

You already have an iCloud account (you said you didn't but you actually do, which by default is the same ID/ pwd as your iTunes Store account) but what you have not done is set up an iCloud e-mail address. Once you do that (which you can do right from your iPhone) then you should do the following:

Right now you're syncing your contacts from Outlook to your iPhone, with iTunes managing the syncing. I am not 100% sure, but if you now turn on the Contacts setting in your iCloud settings, then I think the contacts that are currently on your iPhone will get pushed to iCloud. Do that and log into iCloud from your PC (www.icloud.com) and click on the Contacts icon. If you see your contacts on iCloud from your PC, then they were successfully transferred. If not, then you will need to export your contacts from Outlook as a vCard file and import that into iCloud (using your PC).

Once your contacts are set up in iCloud, go into your iPhone settings and make sure that your default Contacts (and Calendar) account is your iCloud account. Also, while connected to iTunes, change your sync settings to stop syncing with Outlook.

I'm not sure if there's a way to transfer your Outlook calendar to iCloud, perhaps it is like contacts where you just turn iCloud Calendar on and then everything is pushed to iCloud, then change your sync settings to break free of Outlook. You'll have to do a little research on that, unless someone chimes in on this thread.

Finally, while you can share one iCloud account across the family so that Contacts and Calendar events are all shared, check each device's settings for iMessage and FaceTime in the "Send & Receive" section. If all devices can be reached at the same contact (which may be your new iCloud e-mail) then all devices will get the same iMessages and FaceTime calls. All you have to do is make sure that each device is not sharing a check mark next to the same e-mail address, or set up separate Apple IDs for each device.

One more thing, check out the recent iLounge article on Apple Store and iCloud accounts:

App Store accounts and iCloud document sharing | iLounge Article
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for your thorough reply. I am still learning I-stuff after having a windows phone before. I appreciate the info. Will make the changes in a few days and will post how it turns out! Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Junior Lounger

Ok. I set it up like you said. It took minutes and worked great. (Didn't bother with email - just interested in calendar contacts and photos. I will still maintain outlook because I like the month view, can print better, and can search / edit events better. HOWEVER the photo stream has stopped working. Photos taken with my phone are no longer showing up in my PC's photo stream. and why is my photo stream folder not on my iCloud home page? Thanks again. Very pleased so far despite glitches.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveromo View Post
HOWEVER the photo stream has stopped working. Photos taken with my phone are no longer showing up in my PC's photo stream.
I assume that you have Windows 7 and have installed the "iCloud Control Panel"? (that's the only way Photo Stream gets pushed to your PC). Assuming that you did install iCP, check your iCloud settings on your iPhone to make sure that "My Photo Stream" is still turned ON. Also remember that pictures will only upload from your iPhone to Photo Stream via Wi-Fi, and depending on the speed of your connection there can be a significant delay before they show up. Also note that enabling Photo Stream is not retroactive ... only new pictures are uploaded once you enable the setting on your iPhone (i.e. past pictures are not uploaded)

Quote:
...and why is my photo stream folder not on my iCloud home page?
I don't know why, but Photo Stream is not available online via your iCloud dashboard. One would think that'd be a logical thing to add, but for some reason Apple thinks otherwise.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Junior Lounger

UPDATE. Photos once again streaming ok. However I can no longer sync to outlook. In my iTunes / device area the "sync calendar and contacts" options are disabled because I use I cloud. As I mentioned, outlook has features that iCloud doesn't and I want to use both. Is there a way to take my iCloud calendar and sync it to outlook 2003?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Well, I'm sure that you can't "sync" your iCloud calendar to Outlook, at best you might be able to export it and import it into Outlook, but I don't know if that's even possible.

What do you find that Outlook can do that you can't do with iCloud? Slaying that dragon may be easier.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 AM

Junior Lounger

Outlook's month view displays more events and looks better (with different colored boxes around events,) and you can print them as well. Also, outlook allows copy/paste when you have to schedule the same thing on multiple dates. Outlook also has search tools that will list events that have similar names or other search fields. There's more but they're the main features. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
Well, I'm sure that you can't "sync" your iCloud calendar to Outlook, at best you might be able to export it and import it into Outlook, but I don't know if that's even possible.

What do you find that Outlook can do that you can't do with iCloud? Slaying that dragon may be easier.
It is possible to sync your iPhone calendar with Outlook via iTunes. But you are right, not your iCloud calendar to Outlook. In the best case scenario, you should be able to export your iCloud calendar events into an ICS file to your computer and import that to Outlook. However I am not 100% sure you can export iCloud events in ICS.

Topic: icloud - Outlook2003 - Sync Questions

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.