Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Buying used iPhone4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Buying used iPhone4

I have the opportunity to buy a used iPhone4. This will be for my kid. I am not familiar with the iPhone, but I understand the phone will be unlocked by ATT by the original owner (who I know). However, how do I actually take "official" ownership of the phone in the eyes of Apple? That is, how do I register the phone in my name instead of the original owner?

I know we'll require iTunes and will probably register with my kid's iTune account (she has long experience with iTunes and her iTouch).

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM

First, be certain that an AT&T phone is compatible with your carrier -- i.e. unlocking it won't make an AT&T GSM phone work on CDMA network (Verizon, Sprint).

There really is no "registering" the iPhone with Apple, other than setting it up with your (or your daughter's) iTunes and Apple ID for iTunes/App purchases, iMessage, and FaceTime.

What you will need to do is get your carrier to allow it to be tied to your cellular account, with a data plan. Once that is established, you can then start the iPhone up, connect it to your daughter's computer (iTunes) to give it a name and authorize it for whatever iTunes account is needed. That should set up the Apple ID in all the locations required in Settings (i.e. "iTunes & App Stores", "Messaging", "iCloud" and "FaceTime") but later you can optionally set up "Game Center" and "Home Sharing" with the Apple ID.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks! I did confirm the GSM compatibility. It will be used with prepaid Sims.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Buying used iPhone4

Hi,

1 Off I am tell U that is the depend Upon Mobile Used and His Price. If not to major different his price new and old than i am not to Suggest to go. I am suggest to u go with Only New Mobile phone.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM

CashiPhone
Banned

Just make sure that all the main functions are working such as the speakers, the microphone, the cameras, and that you have WiFi and you should be good to go.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi Buddy! Just reset the settings and just login your id.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:24 AM

Junior Lounger

Problem being with used phones is the scammers. What's to stop the vendor reporting as lost / stolen in two months and IMEI blocking it to claim off insurance? If you buy 2nd hand then the phone is physically yours but the IMEI will still be tied to the vendor who could do this. Just be careful
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

Reset the phone, or getroot the system, and login with your new id

Topic: Buying used iPhone4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.