Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone 4 always searching....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPhone 4 always searching....

Made a post of MacRumors but not getting any ideas there. Basically I bought an iPhone 4 used off of eBay about a month ago. I'm using a Straight Talk sim card with it. I performed a JB using RedSn0w and everything was working great for a week or so. After that I started noticing it would start saying "no service" and "restore needed". Restoring didn't help the situation but if I reset the phone it would get service again most times, annoying but not a huge deal. Over the next couple of weeks it was getting worse and worse, to the point where I was resetting every single morning and at least twice a day after that.

Then one morning it was just stuck on "searching". It wouldn't even go to no service. It will say searching even without the sim card in. I checked the settings and noticed that my ICCD and Modem didn't list anything at all. When I put it in DFU mode and try to do a restore I get a 6002 error, tried with multiple computers and USB ports with the same problem. I did accidentally get it stuck in recovery mode and restored from there but still no luck with the searching going away. It makes me think it *could* be a software problem due to it coming back at first simply by resetting, but I suppose hardware could be the issue too.

Any ideas on what this could be or anything to try out? Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Veteran Lounger

Your best bet is to Restore the iPhone as a new device and not jailbreak it which should rule out the software. If it is still having issues you could try another SIM card but it is more than likely having hardware problems.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry this is my first iPhone so how do I restore as a new device? I've restored countless times but I have seen the idea of doing as a new device before. The problem is when I restore it wants to activate, but it's still searching and I can't get to the home screen or do anything. When I JB it seems to bypass the activation so I can at least use the phone.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Veteran Lounger

You Restore the iPhone with iTunes by selecting it in iTunes and clicking the Restore button on the Summary pane. You should be prompted as to whether you want to Restore as a new device or using a backup. Do not use any restore features you may have in the jailbreak software, only use iTunes which will wipe the jailbreak as well returning it to a default Apple setup.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: iPhone 4 always searching....

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.