Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Just got the iPhone 5: Hello Siri

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 AM

Senior Lounger

Just got the iPhone 5: Hello Siri

So I got my iPhone 4 two years ago this month-joined MacRumours soon thereafter. As I up to renew my contract I took the opportunity to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (white, 64GB). Finally I will see what the hype about a slightly taller screen, Siri, etc. is all about.

It will only be activated tomorrow morning. So tonight I will do a final backup of my phone through iTunes - I have already transferred/deleted all photos/videos/docs off the phone - then I presume I just plug the new phone in and restore from the most recent backup? All my apps, contacts and the game saves etc will also be transferred? What about settings? Wifi passwords? Will I have to authorise the phone to access my apple id?
Also salesperson at my carrier told me to run the phone down and charge for at least 6 hours. What is your experience with it?

Wallpapers, no point useing iPhone 4 wallpapers eh?

Cases: read so much about the 5 being a bit more fragile, at least in getting nicked and dented-while of course unless it drops on the screen not liable to shattering. I can see already the edge (antenna?) is less hard than the 4's. What kind of cases if any do you all recommend? I used the griffin reveal for the 4, thinking of going for a leather pocket or wallet type case for the 5.

Anyway will report back on my impressions with it and surely more questions.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

We have done the restore to the same model, and yes you have to associate the Apple ID with the phone to activate it. After that most of the other settings came with the restore from the original phone.

The sales person is mistaken. You don't need to run it down or charge for 6 hours. If you do charge it will have a full battery, but it comes partially charged.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 AM

Junior Lounger

My iPhone 5 had an 80% charge straight out of the box. No need to drain then charge yours - it has a lithium ion battery, so charge/discharge cycles are not frequently needed. I bought my phone at the end of September. I did my first (and only one so far) charge/discharge cycle a couple days after Christmas. I only do it when I notice that the phone seems to discharge the battery more quickly than usual.

Welcome to the world of iPhone 5! You'll find that it's MUCH faster than the 4, and that extra half inch of screen real estate is nice!

iPhone 5 white 32GB, iPad Mini white 32GB.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
So tonight I will do a final backup of my phone through iTunes - I have already transferred/deleted all photos/videos/docs off the phone - then I presume I just plug the new phone in and restore from the most recent backup? All my apps, contacts and the game saves etc will also be transferred? What about settings? Wifi passwords? Will I have to authorise the phone to access my apple id?.
That is pretty much it. I restored my 5 from a 3GS backup taken right before I went over to the store and it worked just fine. You do have to re-enter your apple id pw, your wifi pw and maybe one or two other things but other than that you just let it run. I got all my apps, with all their data, back without incident.

I have the Tech21 Impact and like it. Looks nice on the phone and not too bulky. Probably not as much protection as the outer box but a much cleaner look. My 3gs was the most dependable phone ever...I had it for just over 3 years. I hope the 5 does as well!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM

Junior Lounger

The only problem I had going from an iPhone 4 to 5 was I couldn't update it from backup on my computer. I'm on 10.5 which I need to run my large format printer. I had to use my backup to iCloud which took forever! I also got the 64GB iPhone which I can't even put music on for the same reason as above. I had to pay for iTunes's Match to upload everything to iCloud, which again took forever! A few days at least! The music plays ok but sometimes it will stall!

Hopefully soon I will be getting a new iMac which should work nicely with the new phone!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

congrats on getting your new iPhone 5, I have heard many people saying that the iOs 6 updation has gone wayward on their mobiles so beware of updating ur os wait till a more stable and update version arrives.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Junior Lounger

There are no issues with iOS 6, or 6.1! You can download Google Maps and You Tube which both work better than ever! You can even download a gmail app.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Senior Lounger

Well my upgrade went flawlessly, transferred all of my apps, contacts etc. A couple of apps didn't transfer properly, one game for example (Contre Jour) lost it's game save which I understand from elsewhere is an issue with the app itself. A few were pretty clearly were never updated for the 5, some worked and looked fine despite the letterboxing but others not so good and I realised I didn't use them any more so I black "xed" them.

Otherwise I am really liking the phone, a lot faster than my iphone 4, bigger screen is fine but the colour and sharpness are the best features for me, camera is great and I like the light feel of it. Battery usage is about as good as my 2 year old 4 so not so good but I suppose the phone is more powerful.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

many many congratulations for your new iPhone 5. iPhone 5 is very nice and updated phone so you have to take more care of it also so have a leather iPhone 5 case first it gives your phone a long life.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Case, don't skip on it! That phone, without a contract is between$600-$700, so if you break it, or even crack it, you're out that money trying to get a new one!!

No one's cell is safe without a case, I'd never suggest never getting one!

Topic: Just got the iPhone 5: Hello Siri

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.