Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone 5 Alarm Clock Dock..Does it Exist?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 AM

Junior Lounger

iPhone 5 Alarm Clock Dock..Does it Exist?

A few months ago we purchased an iPhone 5 for our daughter, I was thinking I would get her an alarm clock\dock\charger for Christmas but after a lot of searching I can't find anything. Does this exist for the lightning connector? If not will it exist anytime soon or should I just purchase something with the 30 pin connection and use the adapter?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM

I think Belkin (or Griffin) has one coming out very soon. The main issue is that these initial round of speaker docks are likely not going to be the best and instead represent a product that was rushed just to get it out on the market. You are going to find better units that use the 30-pin dock connector. However, there may be some incompatibilities if the dock requires an app for functionality. Often times manufacturers come out with their own apps to interface with their docks adding alarms, controls, and whatnot to the iOS device. Those may or may not work with the lightning to 30-pin adapter.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
I think Belkin (or Griffin) has one coming out very soon. The main issue is that these initial round of speaker docks are likely not going to be the best and instead represent a product that was rushed just to get it out on the market. You are going to find better units that use the 30-pin dock connector. However, there may be some incompatibilities if the dock requires an app for functionality. Often times manufacturers come out with their own apps to interface with their docks adding alarms, controls, and whatnot to the iOS device. Those may or may not work with the lightning to 30-pin adapter.
Thanks for the reply....I am thinking specifically about the iHome products, any idea if they will work with the adapter?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM

I have no idea. Like I said, if they require that the iPhone run a specific app to use certain features of the speaker setup, you might be out of luck. The speaker system should work just fine if all you are looking for is basic controls (volume adjustment, next track, previous track, fast forward, rewind, etc.). I have a dock speaker system with a 30-pin adapter and it works with my iPhone 5 just fine for those basic tasks. More advance functionality requiring the use of an iHome app may or may not work. Your best bet is to e-mail them asking for some insight as I'm sure they have been testing their products with the iPhone 5.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Queen of Typos

I was just looking at iHome's Facebook page earlier, for the same reason. They said you need to buy the Lightning adapter via Apple and any of their products will work with it. In a comment to a user they said for the iPhone/iPod, you can set the phone directly on the block adapter, but for iPad and iPad Mini they recommend getting the adapter with the cord and laying it down. Here's their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/iHome

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, Gen 3 iPod Touch 32GB, Gen 1 iPod Nano 8GB in Black, Gen 2 iPod Mini 6GB in Blue, Gen 1 iPod Shuffle 1GB, Windows 7 (Netbook with 32-bit Starter, Desktop with 64-bit Home Premium), latest version of iTunes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat2 View Post
I was just looking at iHome's Facebook page earlier, for the same reason. They said you need to buy the Lightning adapter via Apple and any of their products will work with it. In a comment to a user they said for the iPhone/iPod, you can set the phone directly on the block adapter, but for iPad and iPad Mini they recommend getting the adapter with the cord and laying it down. Here's their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/iHome
Thanks...I will check it out.

Topic: iPhone 5 Alarm Clock Dock..Does it Exist?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.