Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone 5 Lifeproof vs Otterbox Defender

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPhone 5 Lifeproof vs Otterbox Defender

Message: Which one is better? This is the only video that I could find on YouTube that compares them both on the iPhone 5. Here is the video:

iPhone 5 LifeProof vs Otterbox - YouTube

16gb iphone 3g 16gb iphone 3gs 16gb iphone 4 16gb Iphone4s 32gb iPhone 5 32gb Data iPad 2 ihome 16gb iPod touch 4th generation 2gb iPod shuffle

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM

They are two cases made for two different purposes. The Otterbox is more for protecting against drops while the Lifeproof protects against the elements (i.e. water and moisture). One isn't going to necessarily be better than the other, it all depends in your needs. They are both highly reviewed cases that have their drawbacks. The Otterbox is bulky and the headphone cover on the Lifeproof case is annoying. Get whichever one will fit your needs. Don't forget about the Belkin Survivor either, it seems to be a mix between the Otterbox Defender and Lifeproof case.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have to partly disagree with you. Both cases serve the same purposes which is to protect the phone however Lifeproof has an additional benefit which is that it is waterproof. I'm going to check out that Belkin case though.

16gb iphone 3g 16gb iphone 3gs 16gb iphone 4 16gb Iphone4s 32gb iPhone 5 32gb Data iPad 2 ihome 16gb iPod touch 4th generation 2gb iPod shuffle

Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Well yeah, every single iPhone case out there is made to protect the iPhone in some way. The level of protection is what varies between them. That underlying goal can be ignored. Otherwise one could say that the OtterBox Defender is similar to a cheap $5 hard plastic snap case because they are both made to protect the iPhone. That isn't the case though.

Each of these extreme cases are made to protect the iPhone on different levels. The Belkin Survivor seems to be the best all around case though it is not fully waterproof (just water resistant). Keep in mind that the Lifeproof is waterproof only up to a certain depth (I think its less than 2 ft) so don't think you will be able to take your iPhone to the bottom of a pool. It has the ability to keep an iPhone dry if you drop it in a full sink or in a toilet, that's about it. The Lifeproof is the slimmest of the extreme cases but initial reviews show that it isn't as good as either the OtterBox or Belkin unit at defending against drops.

In my opinion, if you really wanted to protect against everything, go with the Belkin case. There are videos online where they put an iPhone 4/4S through some rough torture and the only thing it doesn't survive is being driven over with my a car.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM

Junior Lounger

I use the Griffin Survivor... Which I believe is the same as the Belkin.

I must tell you that it is absolutely awesome! It's been redesigned for the iPhone 5 which fixes a few problems with the design for the iPhone 4.

I am a tradesman and need to work off of ladders and around dust. Once I dropped my iPhone 5 (in a survivor case) from an extension latter it fell about 20 feet onto concrete and not one problem with the phone.

I kept my 4s in a Survivor case too and one time I was working down on the floor, set my phone beside me on the floor - it got stepped on by a 200+ lb man and not a scratch--- The frame of the griffin case bore all the weight.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 AM

You are right, it is the Griffin Survivor, I'm not sure why I thought it was made by Belkin.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Our iPhone cases have been tested to withstand a drop of 6.6 feet and will also withstand immersion in water to a depth of 6.6 feet / 2 meters for 30 minutes. We made sure our case keeps the iPhone's sleek & slim profile while offering the best protection for your device. You can read more on the design, features, & protection of our cases on our website.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 AM

Junior Lounger

The Griffin Survivor case is also Milspec.

iPhone 5 white 32GB, iPad Mini white 32GB.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have the LifeProof for my 4S. I work in a very dirty, dusty environment and like that the LifeProof provides protection against the dirt and dust. I also tend to leave it in my work shirt pocket throughout the day, and on occasion, when leaning over the sink, it falls out into the sink. I could always stick it in my pants pocket, but it feels uncomfortable, so the waterproof aspect of the LifeProof is also appealing to me. I rarely use headphones, so the screw in cap over the jack doesn't really effect me. I like that its slim, but also does its job quite well.

16GB iPhone 4S - White - Sprint
4th gen iPod touch - Black - 8GB
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lifeproof rocks, but......

After going thru several cases and looking at other peoples iPhone cases, and losing a 3GS to a water "incident", I went with a Lifeproof case and holster.

But..... there are a few issues withthe case that I wish could be handled better.
1. The earphone plug is really annoying. Easy to lose and you have to use the adapter they provide before you can plug in any headphones into the phone, including the original Apple versions.
2. The case opening behind door at teh bottom that seals off the charging port will only accept the original Apple plugs. All the aftermarket cords I have are useless as the plugs are too thick to fit thru the opening.

But on the plus sides..
a. The case is rock solid and has served me well in the 12 months I've had it.
b. Their customer service is second to none. I had an issue with a case half and they shipped me a new case half, no questions asked.
c. The case, for all the protection it provides, is very slim and doesn't make the phone look or feel like a small cinder block. Certainly much better looking than the Griffin Survivor ( which I also considered ).

Would I buy another one? Tough call, but I would be hard pressed to pick another brand.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

That video gives a good comparison between the two cases. If you want a waterproof case, go with Lifeproof. If you need a lot of protection from drops, then go with Otterbox.

It was pretty cool taking pictures underwater with the Lifeproof case and the pictures and videos came out really clear. Otterbox casing is really hard and I can see why it is known for its strong protection. There are rumors that there will be a waterproof version of the Otterbox but that is just rumors.

This article also gives a good comparison between Lifeproof and Otterbox:
Lifeproof vs Otterbox Supreme Skins
Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Me and my friend have this personal "contest". He is using Otter, I use Lifeproof... Until today, we didn't find big difference while skiing, biking and filming in swimming pool. They both do ok.

Topic: iPhone 5 Lifeproof vs Otterbox Defender

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.