Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Text Message Issue with Shared iTunes Account

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

Text Message Issue with Shared iTunes Account

My 12-year-old has had an iPod touch for a couple of years, while I have an iPad. For security reasons, he shares my iTunes account so I can monitor what apps he downloads.

I've just been given an iPhone from my company, and now I'm receive all the text messages from the group of friend he chats with. Is there a way to turn that off without creating an entirely separate iTunes account?

Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

Turn off Settings/Messages/iMessages. This will turn off Apple's iMessages from iOS devices but should keep your cell phones text messages from your carrier enabled so you'll still receive messages to your phone number.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Actually, you do not specifically have to turn iMessage off entirely on your iPhone. If you simply do not sign into iMessage using your Apple ID, you will still be able to receive iMessages to your iPhone's phone number, but these should not go to any other devices unless you've signed in with your Apple ID and enabled your phone number elsewhere. In the case of your iPad, then as Sparkee suggests you would need to turn it off or use a different Apple ID to avoid receiving your son's messages, since he is obviously using the same Apple ID and e-mail address on his iPod touch.

However, keep in mind that you do not have to use the same Apple ID for iMessage that you do for your actual iTunes account. In fact, this also applies to any other service on your iPhone/iPad that uses an Apple ID (e.g. FaceTime, Game Center, iCloud) -- each of these services can use a single, common Apple ID, or you could use a completely different Apple ID for each, and none of these have any connection to the Apple ID used for your iTunes Store account.

Further, it's not even strictly necessary to use separate Apple IDs to isolate iMessages to specific devices. You can associate multiple e-mail addresses -- plus your iPhone's phone number -- with a single Apple ID and assign each device to use whichever of those e-mail addresses you want. So you could continue sharing the same Apple ID with your son for iMessage and simply disable whichever e-mail address he is currently using on his iPod touch to communicate with his friends. Similarly, enable your iPhone's phone number and/or a different e-mail address on your iPhone/iPad. Messages to your phone number or e-mail address will only go to your device's, and messages to the e-mail address used by your son will only go to his iPod touch. Note that this is a less secure method if you're concerned about privacy, however, as it's basically trivial to go into the Messages settings and enable any of the configured e-mail addresses or phone numbers (i.e. your son could easily toggle on your phone number in his iPod touch Messages settings and start receiving your text messages on his iPod touch).

This is all explained in much greater detail in our Guide to FaceTime & iMessage, so I'd recommend checking that out.

Topic: Text Message Issue with Shared iTunes Account

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.