Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPhone 5 battery life..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPhone 5 battery life..

Interested in hearing everyone's experience with battery life & their iPhone 5..

Currently have a 4S & waiting for my iPhone 5 to be delivered. Want to know how the battery life compares, as my 4S hadn't been great since iOS 5 (on iOS 6 now & not a great deal better)..

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 AM

Junior Lounger

I've had my iPhone 5 since Thursday. My first impression is that the battery lasts a bit longer than my 4S battery did (i.e., the charge percentage seems to go down more slowly on the 5). I didn't changed any settings that would affect battery drain - iCloud restore didn't change any of my settings when I set up the 5.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

My iPhone 5 is needing a full charge every day, but I am using it a lot at the moment.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Owning an iPhone 5, have a husband return home.

XDD
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt327gir View Post
I've had my iPhone 5 since Thursday. My first impression is that the battery lasts a bit longer than my 4S battery did (i.e., the charge percentage seems to go down more slowly on the 5). I didn't changed any settings that would affect battery drain - iCloud restore didn't change any of my settings when I set up the 5.
UPDATE: I've owned the iPhone 5 for nearly a month now. The battery life still seems to be a little better than my 4S was.

It is extremely important to do a full charge cycle once a month on an iPhone (iPad and iPod too). I always do mine on the 1st of the month. Let the battery drain to below 20%, and then charge it overnight. For the next month, you can charge it whenever you want - just be sure to do the full charge cycle again after 1 month. This will help keep the battery "healthy", and you will likely notice the battery will last a bit longer between charges, if you have a regular schedule for full charge cycle.

iPhone 5 white 32GB, iPad Mini white 32GB.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 AM

Actually, if you end up using the iPhone a lot and it requires a charge by the end of the day, you don't have to complete a full recharge cycle. Additionally, the batteries used in modern iDevices no longer require a monthly charge cycle to stay calibrated. That can easily be stretched out to once every 3 months and that is if you let the battery drain about 50% before charging it. Even when iDevices functioned better with a monthly charge cycle, it wasn't due to the chemistry of the batteries but rather the circuitry used to monitor the battery as that would lose its calibration curve over time.

I have had my iPhone 5 for a week now and it seems to last all day without needing to be recharged, it is beating out my Droid X (which had an extended battery) despite me using my iPhone more. I use it for about 30 minutes in the morning playing music in my car via bluetooth, text a few people back and forth all day, look at Facebook once in the morning and once after lunch, play an additional hour of music, take a photo or two, play music for another 30 minutes through bluetooth in my car, text even more, look at Facebook one last time, and maybe call someone. By 9:00 PM (after starting it all at 5:00 AM), my iPhone 5 has about a 30% charge and needs to be filled up again. It's a solid 16 hours of off and on various usage (data, texting, music, video playback, photos, etc.) and I am pretty pleased. My Droid X reached 20% battery life at 4:00 PM and that is with a lot less usage. I can charge my iPhone 5 on the commute back home (30 minutes) and that gets it more than enough juice to last the night (past midnight).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 AM

Junior Lounger

Kornchild2002,

Thanks for the new (to me) info on iDevice batteries. I'm glad I don't have to be so religious about charge cycles anymore.

I do a lot of browsing with my iPhone 5, mostly reading news and forums. I use Opera. I am very pleased with how long the battery lasts. By bedtime (11:00pm), I typically have 50-60% left.

Question: Wi-Fi or 4G/LTE - which one drains the battery faster?

iPhone 5 white 32GB, iPad Mini white 32GB.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wifi uses less battery power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

If you want to save your battery life (longterm) you should never charge it until it reaches less than 5%, then you charge it to full. As soon as you think its 100% you should unplug it and not have it overcharge. It can definitely save your battery life in the long run.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 AM

That is not true. You can charge an iPhone's battery whenever as the circuitry inside of it controls everything. You do not have to always charge it when the phone is about to shut off. The iPhone also won't overcharge itself. Once the circuitry knows the battery is full, it will stop charging the battery. There is a trickle charge until the battery reaches an absolute 100% but the battery won't be continually charged overnight to the point of the battery exploding. That isn't how these things worked. In fact, they have never worked like that so I'm not sure where your statement is coming from.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Battery life for iPhone 5

I've had my iPhone for about a month. The battery life is great just like the other iPhones but when on LTE I do see a decrease in battery life more quicker than when your on wifi but that's to be expected given its 4g. Overall not a deal breaker.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

didn't want to start a whole new thread so i thought i'd piggy back on the battery thread...

first of all, i'm not a extremist. i understand that with all the amazing things a smart phone can do now, the battery just will not last as long as some demand it will.

HOWEVER, this has to be cause for concern.

i have had my iPhone 5 since the first day of release. practically every time I go to bed with a 100% charge, i will wake up the next morning (usually between 6-8 hours) and the battery will often be less than 75%. seriously! what gives? the last straw making me post about this was last night. went to bed at 31% and I THOUGHT that perhaps the phone gets a little more conservative and would make that 31% last forever or something along those sorts but nope. woke up six (6) hours later and was at 1%. 1! 30% battery consumption after six hours on standby and on WIFI by the way.

what makes this even worse is that i recently read many "batter tips" and put them to use:
-turn off location services on app's that dont need it
-turn off siri
-put screen to 10%
-cancel out apps by double-tapping home button
-make sure on wifi whenever possible
etc. etc.

none of it seemed to work.

the crazy thing is, my iPad 3 is running the same version of iOS and it goes down...oh i dont know...maybe 3% every night?

so, my question is this. is there some kind of app out there that someone can recommend that will monitor my battery usage and tell me exactly what is eating it up? i can't find anything that does it as well as my android used to. just a simple app that i can open up in the morning and see "oh, it's XYZ app that's doing this!"

i refuse to believe this is normal. in fact, a co-worker stared at me like i was crazy when i told them this story. they said they had absolutely no issues like that.

sorry for the wall of text. let me know if you need any other info...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Something has to be wrong with your device I go to sleep with it maybe around 70% wake up and it's at 67% and I don't do those things to conserve my battery life. Who is your service with? Does your wifi lose signal or turn off and will cause your device to switch to 3G or LTE that's the only thing I can think of

16gb iphone 3g 16gb iphone 3gs 16gb iphone 4 16gb Iphone4s 32gb iPhone 5 32gb Data iPad 2 ihome 16gb iPod touch 4th generation 2gb iPod shuffle

16gb iphone 3g 16gb iphone 3gs 16gb iphone 4 16gb Iphone4s 32gb iPhone 5 32gb Data iPad 2 ihome 16gb iPod touch 4th generation 2gb iPod shuffle
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

lol i know! something IS wrong!

but no, i know where you're going with the WIFI thing but no, it never "loses" a signal. it's full wifi signal 24/7 here.

that's why i want to know if there is an app out there that will monitor what the heck is eating my battery.

the only thing i can think of is if something is constantly pinging gps/location services all the time but i'd have no idea what and also i kill all apps before sleeping.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

No app killer yet for iPhone I've checked several times nor is there any app that tells you what's running only droid offers that if you find one let me know

Topic: iPhone 5 battery life..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.