Dropbox 1.5 Camera Upload Glitch - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Dropbox 1.5 Camera Upload Glitch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 PM

Junior Lounger

Dropbox 1.5 Camera Upload Glitch

Has anyone else had this problem? I decided to go ahead and try the new Dropbox Camera Upload feature to see how it works from my iPhone 4s (iOS 5.1.1, 32 GB, over 9.5 GB free space on phone).

I fired up the app on my phone only to discover that I got the crash on start bug that some people reported about this update. I googled for a fix for this and found out that all I needed to do was delete the app and reinstall it either through iTunes or OTA from the App Store. Did this, restarted my phone for good measure and tried again. The app came straight up, I logged in with no problems and the Camera Upload screen appeared. I selected the Camera Roll album and the files began uploading almost immediately. Over 425 files so I figured even over WiFi it would take a while to upload, but it actually went pretty fast. Until I got to my last 15 pictures. This is where the glitch appeared. I have been stuck at approx. 50% on this file (It is a 5 minute video) for over two hours now.

I have restarted my phone, reset my network settings, deleted and reinstalled the app (AGAIN) and no luck. It seems to just stick at this point.

I checked the Dropbox FAQ's and found out that they have a max file size of 300 MB. I can't imagine that the file is that big, I have 2.45 GB of free space on my Dropbox account and I tried changing Wifi networks and even shut off Wifi to see if it would go up over 3G. Still stuck at 50%.

I can't find a way to skip this file or even shut the process down.

If you have had this problem please post here. And if you have figured out the cure post that too. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Junior Lounger

It just takes a long time to upload video files

I discovered that it just takes a long time to upload a video file using the Camera Upload feature. It took nearly 11 hours to upload a 5 minute video over wifi.

Tried switching to 3G but the app requires Wifi. So I guess you just have to be patient.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Junior Lounger

OK I finally went into my Dropbox account and discovered that a 5 min. video file is nearly a gigabyte in size so I get that it would take awhile to upload, but 11 hours seems a bit much. I also left the iPhone on battery and this nearly ran it all the way out. Battery ran from 100 % to 24% in 11 hours doing nothing else.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am in a similar situation. Uploaded over 600 photos and videos with no problem until the final 8 photos. The eighth one finally finished, now stuck on the seventh. I can't see how to identify which file is causing the problem?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM

It does not sound like a file problem, but a bandwidth problem.

The app requires WiFi, and if you are on an 802.11B then you can transmit up to 2.5 Mb/s which is about 1.125 GB/hour if there was nothing else taking up bandwidth on your phone (email, text messages, app updates) or your network (other PCs).

802.11G, N and AC can get higher speeds.

Now the original poster stated it took 11 hours to upload 1 GB+ which means it is probably not the network. It could be a really inefficient App, or a limitation on speed to Dropbox that is causing the problem.

You could see if is your network by transferring a bunch of pictures to iCloud and see how long it takes to get them all there.

If you have other Dropbox apps you may test using those to see if it is a Dropbox issue.

My bet is the App is poorly written, like it is re-scanning the entire file to send a chunk of it over the network, or using a buffer size that does not match even packet size, or performs a custom hash calculation on both sides of the transfer for each block that takes a long time to compute.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Topic: Dropbox 1.5 Camera Upload Glitch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.