Problems with exercise apps & voice feedback. - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Problems with exercise apps & voice feedback.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 AM

Married Man of Mystery

Problems with exercise apps & voice feedback.

Hi everyone, long time no see.

I'm having a bit of a conundrum with the cycling apps on my iPhone4.
I've used Cyclemeter and the Runtastic Mountainbike apps (not simultaneously) when I go cycling and I play podcasts from Downcast in the background. Both these apps have voice feedback and it has worked as advertised in the past.

The voice feedback on runtastic stopped working about two weeks after I installed it. I only switched from Cyclemeter after it started playing up too. Both the apps still duck the volume of the background music and Cyclemeter at least tries to start the voice feedback, but never gets past the first one. Then the volume stays ducked either until the announcement was supposed to finish, or until I close the app.

The really confusing part is that apps like The Social Radio and Coderunner have no issues when playing music in the background. I suppose the issue could be to do with an update to Downcast, but I'm not entirely convinced that makes sense either.

Sorry for the convoluted post, I'm just getting rather frustrated at this oddly specific situation. If anyone has any advice or thoughts I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Veteran Lounger

First thing I would do is go to the Apps iTunes Store page and read the reviews for any reported issues as well as contacting the suport for those apps. Also try Resetting the iPhone by holding the Sleep button till you see the slide to power off message.

Try removing the apps that are not working properly, restart the iPhone then sync them back. You will lose any locally saved data the apps may be saving.

If that doesn't help and you suspect Downcast try removing it to see if the issue clears up. You can set Downcast to sync to iCloud first which will ease setting up when you re-install it. I doubt if it is only Downcast but probably the audio switching in iOS. You could test by playing audio from other sources such as Music or TuneIn Radio to see if the issue persists.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

Have you recently upgraded to iOS5? This is actually a frustrating change Apple has made to the default audio playback policy for apps. In iOS4 and earlier you could set the audio session to keep running even when the screen was locked. In iOS5 and later, locking the screen (manually or when it goes to sleep after a minute) actually transitions the app to the background state, breaking the playback behavior for a lot of these kinds of apps.

To ease the transition, Apple continued to support the iOS4 behavior for older apps that haven't been built against iOS5. I'm the lead dev for CodeRunner and we actually had to pull an update when we found out it was behaving this way. There is a workaround for iOS5 that we're now testing. This change was not well documented and came as a surprise to a lot of people--my guess is that the devs for the apps you're talking about may not even be aware it's broken on iOS5. You should just send an e-mail to their support address and let them know. Feel free to send them my way (ryan at rocketchicken dot com) if they want some information about what they need to do to make it work.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Married Man of Mystery

@RocketChicken, CodeRunner is awesome, can't wait for the next chapter!

You're probably right about the devs not knowing. I know users of the runtastic apps have had issues since their latest update, but that wouldn't explain why the problem also came up on Cyclemeter. I stay on top of iOS updates as much as I can, so I upgraded to 5.1 the day it came out. I suppose the iOS5-optimised app updates have had their audio playback properties brought into line with the new OS version.

Both the apps have had good reviews on iTunes, but runtastic's support page is littered with complaints about voice feedback not working. I will try the remove-restart-reinstall trick Sparkee suggested and see if that helps anything. If not I'll give the support lines for both apps a message with your email address.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM

Married Man of Mystery

Ok, one of two things appears to have fixed this:
Either the 'delete-restart-reinstall' method provided by Sparkee or the OTA update to iOS5.1.1 that occurred the morning after I tried deleting restarting and reinstalling. Either way it's working now. I'll see what happens if I run into this error again.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Junior Lounger

I have had the same problem with exercise apps. When I try to open them it goes to the mian page but hten all of a sudden it closes and goes to to main screen :/
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am really happy after joining this forum, getting very useful info as I got on this topic.

Topic: Problems with exercise apps & voice feedback.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.