Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Apple Digital A/V Receiver not working with iOS 5.0.1

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Apple Digital A/V Receiver not working with iOS 5.0.1

I have an iPhone 4s, jail-broken, running iOS 5.0.1 and I'm trying to connect it to my HDTV. Apparently there is some issue with the newest A/V adapter and iOS 5.0.1 and i don't actually know what it is but every time I try to plug in the adapter it says iOS version unsupported please update. There is no JB for 5.1 and i don't have access to the older adapter. I've tried using the adapter with and without Display Out 1.6.7 but it will not work. I could update to 5.1 but then I lose my JB, which just isn't going to happen. What I'm trying to figure out is wtf is going on, how does the adapter know what iOS version I'm running? Why does it matter what version I'm running? Is there a work around? Other than updating or getting my money back for the adapter, what are my options? It's very upsetting that this isn't working, apple insists on doing things their way and generally speaking, they are VERY user friendly, intuitive, and easy to use however, they also firmly believe in "closed" systems and in situations like this it's rather annoying. We pay a lot for out iDevices and we should be able to with them as we please. Not everyone uses Cydia/JB "maliciously". Please if anyone can offer some insight, a work around, or another solution I am unaware of I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for ANY help with this.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

UPDATE: Resupported4, at least the free one, doesnt seem to address/fix this issue either.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Still having issues with this and I've been searching frantically for solutions.. Almost obsessivly even, I may have a slight OCD but this is truly driving me nuts. If anyone has any ideas, please help. I've even considered updating to 5.1 but losing my JB is still something I don't want to do and there is no official public release as of yet. Chronic Dev team states could be months out still -_-
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

how does the adapter know what iOS version I'm running?

There's p'bly a 35 chip in the adapter that handshakes with iOS; v5.01 may not be able to complete the handshake. As to why this check is "needed," who knows.... Since the first version of this part (A1388) was created to bring HDCP compliance to iOS devices (HDCP is a copy-prevention scheme, and its rules were blocking certain Store rentals and purchases from playing back on the VGA adapters), my first guess would be that this revised part (A1422) is further refining iOS' ability to play nice with HDCP's rules on mirroring; iOS v5.1 p'bly makes correspondng fixes on the firmware side of the equation for certain hardware, either to make HDCP work better or to compensate for the 2nd-gen adapter's electrical characteristics. The only Apple info I could find on this issue was a note in this article: "Some Apple Digital AV Adapters require iOS 5.1 or later."

Regardless of the "why", you're going to have to deal with it. Maybe (for a price) there's A1388s available from resellers/auctions? If not, and if a 5.1 JB is truly months away, why not update to iOS 5.1 and find out how the other half lives? Or maybe an AppleTV and feed it via AirPlay?

I've got a feeling this is not an instance of Apple wanting to do things "their way." It's p'bly more about mirroring and HDCP, which is the result of Big Content getting to have things their way before everyone else ;-) (FWIW, there are HDCP issues affecting Android Market movies, too. HDCP also affects desktop machines; create a virtual display through a VNC or a screen capture program, and an HDCP-encrypted movie might suddenly stop playing since the virtual display isn't HDCP-compliant.)

Just guessin'....
Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

A lot of what your saying does make sense.. Perhaps it's NOT Apple preventing this and it's something more along the lines of keeping up-to-date in the ever-evolving world of modern electronics and piracy. Hadn't really considered that as reason before... I have been looking into the Apple TV method and it's actually really cool. I didn't know anything about it until yesterday except that I thought it was an actual TV so I immediately ruled it out. Turns out it's a hub that connects via HDMI to my TV which would be fantastic. The only thing preventing me from running out and buying one is still compatibility. Will Apple TV 3 require my iPhone to be constantly updated? I don't mind keeping my iTunes and Apple TV updated but if I'm forced to keep my iPhone updated kinda lame. I'm going to go to the Apple Store right now to see if Apple TV 3 will even run on 5.0.1. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks for the pro-tip.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM

It's not the Apple TV 3, it is just the 2012 Apple TV 2. Apple isn't calling it a new generation since it is the exact same as the last one (and even runs the same firmware) except that the 2012 version comes with a single-core A5 processor (for 1080p output). Constantly updating the firmware of the Apple TV (whether it is the 2010 or 2012 version) will mean that you have to keep your iPhone updated. I don't really understand how constantly updating iTunes and the Apple TV is fine but you draw the line when it comes to iPhone updates (which are actually more critical). Why should a company be looked down upon for updating the software of their products just because it is an inconvenience that people are using the products in an unproved way? Apple can't appease the jailbreaking community, otherwise they would have done that back in iPhone OS 1 and kept compatibility throughout the various updates.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
It's not the Apple TV 3, it is just the 2012 Apple TV 2. Apple isn't calling it a new generation since it is the exact same as the last one (and even runs the same firmware) except that the 2012 version comes with a single-core A5 processor (for 1080p output). Constantly updating the firmware of the Apple TV (whether it is the 2010 or 2012 version) will mean that you have to keep your iPhone updated. I don't really understand how constantly updating iTunes and the Apple TV is fine but you draw the line when it comes to iPhone updates (which are actually more critical). Why should a company be looked down upon for updating the software of their products just because it is an inconvenience that people are using the products in an unproved way? Apple can't appease the jailbreaking community, otherwise they would have done that back in iPhone OS 1 and kept compatibility throughout the various updates.
I'd say a brand new processor qualifies it as the "next generation" but to each their own. Also your quite wrong about having to update. I bought one yesterday, updated iTunes and Apple TV and not my phone and it works flawlessly. In fact it's the best 100 bucks I've spent on any electronic device since I bought the 4s. Not to mention the fact that it allows me to do soo much more than the adapter would have allowed. I'm quite happy with the product As for the jailbreak, it's my device and I spent a boatload of cash to OWN it. I should be able to with the device as I please and in fact that RIGHT is protected by law, that's why it's NOT illegal to jailbreak and in fact, the government is offering a $250,000 payday to the next hacker to crack it. There's no reason they need to implement a physical barrier. If that's the case Apple could very well release a new adapter every time they update their OS and we would be forced to buy a new adapter. The consumer would be rather upset by having to this. I see no reason why making it 5.0 compliant, which was the 4s release software, couldn't happen.

Topic: Apple Digital A/V Receiver not working with iOS 5.0.1

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.