Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iphone4s not detecting audiobooks in Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

iphone4s not detecting audiobooks in Itunes

I just uploaded an audiobook to my itunes library. When I plug my phone in to sync with Itunes it shows the audiobooks as being synced in to my iphone successfully as you see it in the itunes pc view. Unforunately, when I go into my phones music app, it does not detect any files whatesoever (I only have audiobooks in my itunes so far). Any help would be great.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Are you sure the books are sync'd?

1 When your phone is connected to iTunes, click on the Books section.
2. Scroll down to the second half of the screen where audiobook syncing is enabled.
3. Make sure it is enabled.
4. If you want to sync all, then check all, otherwise check the books you want to sync.

If you don't see your books in the list, then your import did not change the Media Type to Audiobook.
- Revert the changes, and find your book you imported, select the whole book, right click and choose Get Info, click on the Options tab and change the Media Type to Audiobook and click OK.
Repeat the steps 1-4.

Click Apply to sync the audiobook to the iPhone.

Check by clicking on the triangle next to your iPhone and checking the audiobook section for the book.
You can also check by using your Music interface on your iPhone to look at the audiobooks sync'd.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

The books are synced. The thing is, if I plug my phone into itunes and delete the books from iphone that were supposadely installed (cause thats what its showing), if I now highlight the books in my library and drag them into my iphone device (through itunes) it will show it updating and copying files 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc to my iphone. Once cpmplete, it will show my whole itunes book library reflected in my iphone book library.

Everything about what I'm doing and what itunes is doing should add up to a successful transfer. Only problem is the files cant seem to be found on the iphone itself. And yes, they are named as audiobooks.

I just dont get it....very frustrating.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM

They don't show up in the usual Music section, you need to use the More... button to see the audiobook button to see the audiobook section.

Is that where you are looking?

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 01-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

yes, i looked in all the section. Audiobooks section is blank. I just uploaded some music from my ipod to my computers itunes library. That music DID sync to my iphone when I connected my iphone, but for some reason, the audiobooks STILL refuse to show up on my phone.

PS. They are STILL showing up as being synced/installed in the books folder when I view my iphone through my computers itunes.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM

I would try killing the Music application and restart it, if that does not work then an iPhone reboot, and if that does not work, a restore (restore is destructive so be sure to have a recent backup of you iPhone).

It seems that the book is not being recognized correctly.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Just wanted to spread the word that I figured out what the problem is: After searching around the "info" tab of each track, I noticed that except for the name being displayed as "track 1", the line for artist was blank. I took a long shot and just tapped the keyboard "asdf" and saved it and resynced and waddaya know, I have an iphone that now identifies my audiobook "asdf" track 1, etc.

I do not know why the omission of an artist prevented the iphone from recognizing the audiobooks that synced to it, but it did not prevent my ipod from identifying it.

Either way, if you have an issue where your itunes folder is showing files as being onto your device, but the device itself isnt identifying/displaying these files, do yourself a favor and make sure the file has some info attached to it...specifically...an artist name.

Topic: iphone4s not detecting audiobooks in Itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.