Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: IMAP-POP: Emails Disappear?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

IMAP-POP: Emails Disappear?

I configured my iPhone for IMAP mail this morning. I now see that when I receive an e-mail from my ISP account on my phone, then also open it later on my computer, it is automatically removed from my phone. It just disappears from the Inbox.

I've truied both POP and IMAP, but my PC is configured for POP, so I expect to run with that.

ANy ideas about the mystrious disappearing e-mails??

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Veteran Lounger

Basically the whole point of IMAP is to synchronize one email account between multiple devices (such as work computer, home computer, and mobile device); the "best" option would be to switch the PC over to IMAP.

If you can't or won't do that, one workaround would be to change the POP settings in the PC's mail client to "Leave messages on server" for some period of time (couple of weeks, or forever) and tick the box to "Delete from server when deleted locally." You may get duplicated mails, and you'll have to do your own housecleaning, but it'll mostly-kinda work. (Email on the server is one big huge file which gets downloaded to you; the mail client parses this big huge file into individual messages. If you don't delete messages at some point, the file grows so large that dowloading it takes longer than the mail client is willing to deal with, and you get timeout messages, errors, etc.)

Another alternative is to forward your POP mail account(s) to an IMAP account (such as GMail); this requires a capable email client and a certain patience in getting the settings right....

Topic: IMAP-POP: Emails Disappear?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.