Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Apps growing in size- How do I clear it up?!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Apps growing in size- How do I clear it up?!

I have noticed with the iOS 5 update, we can now view our app memory Usage under general settings. And I've noticed apps growing in size the more I use them. Like facebook. I download it at say 12mb and after a couple weeks the app has grown to over 100mb! However, settings doesn't offer me a way to clear the documents & data that facebook has been accumulating.

So, my phone will go from 300-500mb of free space down to nothing. And facebook isn't the only app that this happens to. Pinterest is also another terrible memory hog. Even my TV Guide app has grown to 100mb!

So, my questions are these: Is there a way to turn off all of this data caching that these apps are doing? And if not, is there a way to clear it so the apps don't use up all of my memory?

I feel like before iOS 5 I didn't have this problem as much. And on my 3G running 3.1.3 (the good ol' days), I never had this problem. Has anyone else noticed this or even looked at the size of their apps in the Usage setting?

Thanks for the help

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm trying to sync my phone now and I went from 300mb of free data yesterday to 70mb OVER!

No idea where the memory is going if I don't download new apps or anything!

I remember when I had jailbroken my old 3G iphone, sometimes apps would have temporary folders after you've installed them and deleted them. So, now and then I would have to go into that directory and delete those files. Now I'm wondering if it is the same issue here with my iPhone 4. However, since I am not jailbroken, I cannot access these files, and so they just keep taking up space on my phone.

Any way to delete these files without jailbreaking?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

Look in the iPhone's Settings/General/Usage to see what apps are taking the most space and delete them. I would suspect this would also purge any other files or caches that may be related to them. You may also find the memory hog by monitoring the Usage.

Smart phones are basically small computers and just like your computer should have a certain amount of free space to run properly. The free space will fluctuate depending on the apps you have running in the back ground. I prefer to maintain around 500Mb -1Gb of free space which generally keeps my iPhone happy and gives me a buffer for taking photos and videos with its camera. Do some house keeping and get rid of the apps you are not using and manage your media as to give you a little more breathing room.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate your time and suggestion.

However, I do watch the Usage quite a bit. That's where I found facebook growing and Pinterest growing. My larger apps (FIFA 12 and Infinity Blade) don't seem to be growing. It's mainly the ones that seem to be caching info and photos.

The problem also happens when I download a new app. And then delete it soon after. I don't end up with the same amount of free space I had. It's as if the phone has kept some memory devoted to the deleted app! And it's fluctuations like this and the caching of things in facebook, etc. that I wish I could manually clear.

Because I don't want to have to leave 1 whole GB free just because Apple let's these devices store a ton of info I don't need or use.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

Have you tried doing a hard reset? I noticed the numbers drop after i did. like computers the iphone needs to be reset from time to time
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

Data Caching

Ive had this very same problem....

Its with Apps that you want to keep but also want to keep size to a minimum (like Facebook)

My quick fix workaround is to delete and reinstall the App...A month of FB usage seen my app increase from 12.8MB to 134MB in total!

So deleting and reinstalling clears the cache and leaves it at just over 14MB...

I imagine its just all the photos and comments and videos that have loaded up over time. Its just annoying you cant clear the cache within the App or in a Menu Setting... Evernote allows you to clear the cache from within the App, and Safari allows you to do the same under the Settings Menu...
Old 11-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does a hard reset work? Clearing the cache? It would be quite annoying if it did... Would that mean it cleared all your App Data? Such as logins, radio recordings, in-app downloads etc?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Thank you for the advice! I appreciate your time and suggestion.

However, I do watch the Usage quite a bit. That's where I found facebook growing and Pinterest growing. My larger apps (FIFA 12 and Infinity Blade) don't seem to be growing. It's mainly the ones that seem to be caching info and photos.

The problem also happens when I download a new app. And then delete it soon after. I don't end up with the same amount of free space I had. It's as if the phone has kept some memory devoted to the deleted app! And it's fluctuations like this and the caching of things in facebook, etc. that I wish I could manually clear.

Because I don't want to have to leave 1 whole GB free just because Apple let's these devices store a ton of info I don't need or use.
Curtis, I have this problem too....When you partially download an app or a sync fails or is interupted from itunes that dreaded "OTHER" section grows on your phone eating up precious space, it should be no more than about 300-700MB which includes text messages, contacts and calendars. Mine was 2.2GB last month! So the only way i found to solve that was a Backup and Software restore stright from itunes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethchambers1 View Post
Does a hard reset work? Clearing the cache? It would be quite annoying if it did... Would that mean it cleared all your App Data? Such as logins, radio recordings, in-app downloads etc?
what i have found was just turning off the device then back on by holding the lock button will clear the cache, i noticed the app size had reduced.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

same problem

There should be a setting to not cache all this info. The best solution is to really delete and reinstall the apps? (Facebook for me specifically..)

That seems kinda counter productive and cumbersome to do every month..
lame!!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Pro Lounger

Noticed this same issue with one of my games. It was originally downloaded at 30mb and is not sitting on my phone at 80mb. Im assuming that the reason for this is that its a game, it has some files of game content as its an online game. Am I correct? No need to worry on that?

White iPad 2 64gb | 13.3 MacBook OSX 10.5 | Black Nano - stolen | 1G silver mini - dead | iSkin Ghost Case | 2882 songs 17.36gb | Black iPhone 3G[S] - dead | White iPhone 4S | iSkin Solo Carbon Case |
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Freshman Lounger

late comer but for everyone still looking for a solution like I was. iFunBox gives access to stored files/caches. Facebook>Library>Caches>FBStore>_VERSION_>FBDiskca che Delete at your own risk. You'll find nearly ever picture you've viewed cached in here. lol, I remember the days of spazing because MS defaulted their IE cache to this 100MB and it was so huge at the time it filled the hard drives up.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppostma1 View Post
... Delete at your own risk. You'll find nearly ever picture you've viewed cached in here.
try copying the files to your computer and adding a .jpg to see them
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 AM

Freshman Lounger

Angry

Pinterest and most other apps have the option to delete this data. FB does not even give that option.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

actually i notice this problem too but it's a common thing on every phones or computers
after using the app for awhile, it will increase in size due to storing data
you should install a cleaning app to clear everything up once in a while

Topic: Apps growing in size- How do I clear it up?!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.