Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Help with getting photos off iPhone 4s

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Help with getting photos off iPhone 4s

My new 4s has a great camera - why is it so difficult to get the photos off it?

I used to consider myself reasonably computer savvy, but this has me stumped. How are my parents supposed to figure this out?

Ok, I took some pictures. Now I want them on my computer.

0. iTunes is no help for this (per articles on this site). I guess I'm supposed to buy some 3rd party software? Every diggycam I've used includes software for transfer.

1. I could e-mail them to myself, one at a time. However, when I do this, they come out upside down. This is using the volume button as a shutter - if I rotate the phone 180 degrees, they come out right, but it negates a nice feature. I guess I can then rotate the pix, one at a time, but this is really tedious. And I have no idea how to rotate the videos that come out upside down. Another 3rd party program? You'd think with all the gyros and other sensors, the phone could figure out which way is up (like all digicams do).

2. I can connect the phone to my PC, and transfer the files manually - but they come out upside down again, as above. And this is not what I consider an 'elegant solution'. Plus there's still the problem with videos.

3. I've set up PhotoStream, and new photos go through to my PC, except still rotated as above, including videos. I notice the phone creates a new 'album' for this - and that it is not possible to delete the photos in this album. Turning off photostream on the phone says it will delete them, but when I turn it back on, they come back. Seriously, it appears there is no way to get rid of those photos, even the mistakes. Deleting them from the photostream directory on the PC doesn't seem to help. And photostream seems to be no help for the the photos I've already taken.

4. I've set up iCloud, but icloud dot com doesn't have any features for photos. This doesn't seem to help me get my photos off the phone.

Maybe this is too many questions for one post (my first), but I gotta say, I've got a very sour apple taste in my mouth about now.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

A friend sent me a link to an article on cnet... guess I'm not allowed to post links.

Apparantly, the ONLY way to delete photos from the photostream is to completely reset the entire photo stream.

Hello Apple - How about fixing this for OS 5.1?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Veteran Lounger

The photos should be oriented properly no matter how they are taken or transfered. Try resetting and restoring the iPhone to see if it fixes it. If not I would contact Apple Support.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Kirwan

You got ALL the ways you can NOT get photos off the phone. Bravo! Can't believe Apple went to sleep and stayed asleep that whole time.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Use iphoto, your iphone should appear as a device
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirwan View Post
How are my parents supposed to figure this out?
Get the kids to show the parents

Topic: Help with getting photos off iPhone 4s

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.