Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iOS5 iphone update : not enough space for files to be backed up. How do I change to e

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Junior Lounger

iOS5 iphone update : not enough space for files to be backed up. How do I change to e

Ahhh pulling my hair out!

The error message comes up sayimg I don't have enough space on my lap to for backed up files to be stored. I have an external hard drive which would be able to hold it but I can't seem to change the location of where back up files should be stored.

I went to edit - preferences - advanced And changed the location to the external hard drive, but still it's evaluating the laptops memory. What am I doing wrong?

Help greatly appreciated. x

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm having the same problem. Sorry - don't have a solution but following this thread in hopes someone can direct us in the right direction. I also have an external hard drive with tons of extra space, but my local hard drive doesn't have enough space. For the update, does it move all your files locally and then move them back? There should be a way to move them to your external hard drive for the necessary space. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Spencer
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Junior Lounger

Hi Spencer,

In the end I copied all my music files to the external hard drive and freed up space on my local drive to do the backup. I did it last night.

My phone now has iOS5, BUT, all my apps are gone. Arghhh nightmare after nightmare. Wish I'd never done it now!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Got it. So copy all your music files to your external *before* doing the update and then recopy them to your itouch? I can do that. Regarding apps, I think you can get them back via the icloud? Or I'll just reinstall. Will try this soon.

Thanks!
Spencer
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ios5 Down via direct apple links

Has anyone had any luck downloading the ios5 via the direct links if so, can you post directions.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

So I had the same issues as everyone above. I did not delete my apps, synced my apps before to be sure they were in Itunes. I went to where the back up is stored. If using a windows computer (XP) it is: C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup - there were several previous back ups stored there. So I moved those to my external hard drive. Once they were safely stored there, I deleted them all. This freed up enough space to successfully create a new back up and install the IOS5 on my Iphone 4. Apps/photos/ everything was still on my phone.

Topic: iOS5 iphone update : not enough space for files to be backed up. How do I change to e

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.