Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can I remove the Maps app on an iPhone?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Can I remove the Maps app on an iPhone?

I end up helping a friend with his iPhone 3, because he's just not technical. So, he wants to remove the Google Maps app. This is not available through the normal method. Does anyone have instructions on how it might be done?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

When you have the map in Edit mode, and click a marker (its title, or the pin on the map) a popup balloon should appear. That has text boxes to edit the title etc. 'Delete' link is bottom left of that balloon.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Pro Lounger

You should be able to move it to another screen, left or right, off the home screen.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

The friend wants to disable/ruin the app.

I find on other websites that a jailbroken iPhone can be manipulated with SSH. I hear that I could delete the folder that has the info for the app. If I jailbreak the phone, will the restrictions settings remain the same, and remain password protected? That's important here, too.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM

OK I'll bite ... why on earth would he want the map application removed? The storage space it occupies on the phone is extremely minimal, and deleting the app doesn't prevent the phone from keeping track of where you've been if that's the concern.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
OK I'll bite ... why on earth would he want the map application removed? The storage space it occupies on the phone is extremely minimal
I'll bite back

In general, I would like to be able to remove any non-essential app if for no other reason than you wind up with a bunch of icons for stuff you will never, ever use.

For some of the stuff, it's clear the only reason they're there is Apple gets paid for them to be there (e.g. Stocks and Weather). If you actually need/use the services provided by these apps, you'll need a better app, and if you don't need/use the services, well, you've still got useless icons all so Apple can collect some sort of revenue sharing check from Yahoo!

I don't know why this person is so gung ho about getting rid of the Maps app, but, really, you should be able to. It's not essential, it's not even all that well implemented although I've used it in a pinch, so if you want it gone, why not?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavord View Post
The friend wants to disable/ruin the app.

I find on other websites that a jailbroken iPhone can be manipulated with SSH. I hear that I could delete the folder that has the info for the app. If I jailbreak the phone, will the restrictions settings remain the same, and remain password protected? That's important here, too.
If your friend isn't technically inclined, jailbreaking would possibly introduce more problems than it would solve. I would suggest putting it on the last page of apps by itself and just ignore it.

16GB iPad Mini (White) (Wi-Fi + Cellular)
8GB 5G iPod nano (Silver)
128GB iPhone 6 (Silver)
60GB 5G iPod Video (Black)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Junior Lounger

If you are jailbroken, the app 'SBSettings' will allow you to hide any unwanted icons.
In my case the Nike app, stocks, and voice memos.

Topic: Can I remove the Maps app on an iPhone?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.