Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Corrupt Library - how to resync iPhone & iPad

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Corrupt Library - how to resync iPhone & iPad

My iTunes library is corrupt - I have some issues with podcasts not being deleted properly.

I know how to rebuild my library via the Apple Knowledge base article ht1451 (sorry, I can't post links).

I know that that works and solves my issue. All my content is safe and is, after a bit of tweaking (podcasts must be resubscribed, iBooks relinked, apps transferred from iPhone, etc.), seen by iTunes.

But, and this is a major problem for me, it looks like after rebuilding my library, my iPhone, iPad, iPod Nano, and iPod Shuffle all think they are connecting to a new library and only offer to erase and resync.

That said, I have a few questions:

1. I know I can transfer all my apps from my iPhone to iTunes. But what about app data. I'm assuming that will all be lost. Is that correct?
2. Is an erase and resync my only option? I literally have hundreds of apps on my iPhone and several dozen on my iPad. Many of the apps contain important data and settings. Further, each device has many, many settings (email servers, passwords, wi-fi passwords, VPN settings etc.) and are setup exactly the way I like them. My only option is to start over from scratch?

I have the iTunes generated backups of each device. After I rebuild my library, is a restore of some kind possible? It didn't appear to be when I looked on a test run.

Thanks for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Topic: Corrupt Library - how to resync iPhone & iPad

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.