Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Switching the sim card from iPhone 3g to iPhone 4?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Switching the sim card from iPhone 3g to iPhone 4?

I am wondering if you can switch the sim card from an iPhone 3G into an iPhone 4?

I am in Canada and on Rogers. I was curious because I thought I heard that the 2 phones use different types of sim cards.

Gamma_5

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Married Man of Mystery

They do have two different types of SIMs.

The iPhone 4 uses a new MicroSIM that's the size of the gold chip on your current SIM card, no bigger. You can get SIM card cutters online that will chop of all that unnecessary plastic, but Rogers should have microSIMs you buy. My carrier gave me a free one when I switched, and that was before my contract ended, so you may not have to pay for it, otherwise you might have to pay between $10 and $20.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_infamy View Post
They do have two different types of SIMs.

The iPhone 4 uses a new MicroSIM that's the size of the gold chip on your current SIM card, no bigger. You can get SIM card cutters online that will chop of all that unnecessary plastic, but Rogers should have microSIMs you buy. My carrier gave me a free one when I switched, and that was before my contract ended, so you may not have to pay for it, otherwise you might have to pay between $10 and $20.
Is there anyway you can transfer the data (contacts...etc) from a SIM card to a MicroSIM card?

Anyone have any experience with one of these SIM card cutters?

Gamma_5
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

I've cut down SIM cards with nothing more than a pair of scissors, so it's not too difficult if you're careful, and there are templates you can get online. In my case, I had a couple of spare older SIM cards to practice with, which helped somewhat.

The only data that should be on a SIM card is your contacts, and note that the iPhone itself doesn't store any contacts on a SIM card unless you've jailbroken and are using some special third-party utility. The Contact info on your iPhone is stored as part of your iPhone backup made by iTunes and can easily be restored to your new iPhone directly from iTunes -- when you connect a new iPhone to your iTunes library it will ask whether you want to set it up as a new iPhone or restore the backup from your existing iPhone.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your replies mr_infamy & jhollington!

When you connect a new iPhone to iTunes and restore your contacts does it also "restore" your apps as well?

I know I can just sync my music & videos again.

Gamma_5
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM

The short answer is yes. Basically, just connect your old iPhone to your iTunes library one last time to get a current backup and then plug in the new iPhone 4 and iTunes will offer to restore everything -- effectively making your new iPhone an identical image of the older iPhone in terms of its settings and apps. This even includes your sync settings for iTunes, so the same content will be synced to the new iPhone as you had selected for the old one.

Technically, what happens is that all of your application data and iPhone settings are restored from the backup, and then iTunes re-syncs your apps and media content from its own library -- there's generally on point in wasting time and space backing up that which is already stored in iTunes anyway.

Topic: Switching the sim card from iPhone 3g to iPhone 4?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.