Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Cannot sync iPhone 4 with iTunes! Help!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

Cannot sync iPhone 4 with iTunes! Help!!

Every time i connect my iphone to itunes i get the following message:
"Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone "......" Go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings".

I have restored the phone several times and the message still keeps being diplayed every time i connect to itunes. Please help as at the moment i have a phone with no pictures or music!!

I have also tried reinstalling itunes and restarting the computer and iphone. Nothing has worked. I have IOS 4.1 and v10 of itunes. What can i do to fix this problem and is anybody else having the same issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can you try to land by another iTunes ID?Or you try to reinstall your OS.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM

Senior Lounger

*DON'T* Reinstall your OS (What's wrong with you Kiddman)?

I'm no expert and I'm not sure if my advice will help but you can probably resolve this without reinstalling your system, just wait for more replies to your message.

Try connecting your iPhone to a different usb socket in your machine, if that don't work, try another cable. - This has worked for someone on iLounge before..

Let us know if it helps..

iPhone 4 (4.2.1) Jailbroken & iPad 2. Using iOS for 4 years. Hate facebook, love last.fm. If you value any advice given in iLounge, come back and say "thanks".. :-)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Corrupted iTunesDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegooch View Post
Every time i connect my iphone to itunes i get the following message:
"Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone "......" Go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings".

I have restored the phone several times and the message still keeps being diplayed every time i connect to itunes. Please help as at the moment i have a phone with no pictures or music!!

I have also tried reinstalling itunes and restarting the computer and iphone. Nothing has worked. I have IOS 4.1 and v10 of itunes. What can i do to fix this problem and is anybody else having the same issues?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hi, this happened to me yesterday, I got a solution but you are going to lose your iPod's database and you will need to delete the music manually from the iphone. Then resync with your computer.

Solution:

Download iFunbox or iPhone Explorer.
Go to the folder "iTunes_Control/iTunes" there you will delete iTunesDB and iTunesCDB.

Then go back to "iTunes_Control" and delete the folder called "Music", here is stored all your music, if for any reason you dont have this music on your computer then copy that folder to your pc and then delete it.

Reconnect your iphone and there you go, itunes will recognize the iphone but without any music in it and the preferences will also be gone (Sync Calendar, Contacts, etc) Setup that again and import the music to your iphone again.

At least it worked for me, hope work to you as well.

Have a nice day!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisamuel40 View Post
Hi, this happened to me yesterday, I got a solution but you are going to lose your iPod's database and you will need to delete the music manually from the iphone. Then resync with your computer.

Solution:

Download iFunbox or iPhone Explorer.
Go to the folder "iTunes_Control/iTunes" there you will delete iTunesDB and iTunesCDB.

Then go back to "iTunes_Control" and delete the folder called "Music", here is stored all your music, if for any reason you dont have this music on your computer then copy that folder to your pc and then delete it.

Reconnect your iphone and there you go, itunes will recognize the iphone but without any music in it and the preferences will also be gone (Sync Calendar, Contacts, etc) Setup that again and import the music to your iphone again.

At least it worked for me, hope work to you as well.

Have a nice day!
Hi elisa,

My problem is very similiar to OP. Whenever I connect my iphone, I always get the screen: "Set Up Your iPhone" and it tells me: "An iPhone has been previously synced with this computer." So my only options are to set it up as a new phone or to restore from backup. I've tried both options multiple times but nothing changes at all. This has been happening since I upgraded to the latest firmware 4.1. It is also the first time I've used it on my new laptop and I've had it connected to several PCs in the past (don't know if that is related). Syncing always takes ages and when I try to eject the thing, I get the error message: "An internal error occurred". I also tried using different USB ports but no success. It has gotten to the point where I can't even access my device on iTunes e.g. music, apps etc . . . I'm using a 3GS with the latest itunes 10 and I'm running it on windows 7. Your method sounds a bit risky to me. Will it work for my situation? (my music is backed up on PC btw)

Any help appreciated
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

To be clear about what needs to be done, the files that need to be deleted (this is an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 jailbroken) are under Root/User/Media/Itunes_Control/iTunes (the DB and Control files) and the Music folder under iTunes_Control.

I had this same problem and this solution worked perfectly for me. I used iPhone Explorer under Mac OSX 10.6.4, which is a little wonky. It forced me to delete each music folder individually, but I was able to resync.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

Iphone 4s syncing problem

I have a problem with my iphone 4s same as the above mentioned. i cant sync it to my itunes vesion 10 after i updated the ios to 6.1. i tried to update the itunes to ver 11 and reset my iphone also but still the same problem. the error was " itunes cannot read the iphone, go to the summary tab and click restore." i tried to restore it, but stil the same. Please help me.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Apple has some help:
iOS: Unable to update or restore
iOS: Resolving update and restore alert messages
iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection
iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

Some sync problems are resolve through the use of the cable. Make sure it is not damaged, directly in a USB port, and try a different port and/or cable.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

It might be defect with the phone... I'd call Apple and see what they can do to help you out

1-800-MyiPhone

Topic: Cannot sync iPhone 4 with iTunes! Help!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.