Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Poor quality photos with iPhone 4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Poor quality photos with iPhone 4

Hi,
I have just bought the iPhone 4 (my first), I have done a few videos that are great, however when it comes to still photos the quality of the pictures are quite poor, grainy for most just bad if the subject moves in any way. i am quite surprised as I though the camera would be as good (nearly) as a digital camera.
Is there a setting I don't know about?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Junior Lounger

The camera on a phone will never be as good as a digital camera...I think that was your problem, assuming that in the first place! (no offense intended)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Senior Lounger

Agreed.. whilst all the advertising suggests you need never need another camera, it's simply not true. - Think of it as a mid range mobile camera, nothing more.

iPhone and new iPod Touch camera's are great for sharing i.e. facebook/twitter/flickr/email/mms (if you use them) and that's where I think the marketing should go because that's the power of the camera, just not in quality.

There are a couple of things you can do though.

• Hold the iPhone landscape for every photo
  • Light: Every camera needs plenty of the right light, mobile cameras are more fussy so try to bear that in mind - outside will be great, a nightclub will be ####..
  • Shop around and look for an app which can give you a 3 second delay after taking the pic (so you have a chance to get the iPhone steady)
  • Photo editing apps can enhance the original picture after you've taken it
  • iOS4.1 is adding automatic HDR, this should improve quality even if the user is unfamiliar with HDR.

Finally, - for special occasions and important pictures, stick to a designated camera device rather than an all in one - better picture quality.

Can you upload any of the pics you've taken so we can see? - I'm just curious now..

Hope this helps.

iPhone 4 (4.2.1) Jailbroken & iPad 2. Using iOS for 4 years. Hate facebook, love last.fm. If you value any advice given in iLounge, come back and say "thanks".. :-)

Last edited by durrson; 09-05-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I might have been expected too much, based on the ads etc.

Being honest I had a blackberry before which did not have a camera so this is my first phone with a camera for me.

I am still surprised to see the good quality of the couple of videos i have done as compare to the still pictures.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Actually, I find the iPhone 4 camera to be quite acceptable for a casual snapshot camera -- my wife recently took a vacation with some friends and left her point-and-shoot camera at home in favour of the iPhone 4 camera. The pictures she took were every bit as good as what she normally takes with a dedicated camera, but she's more of a "snapshot" photographer and almost all of the photos were taken outdoors in daylight (typical travel photos -- scenery, buildings, etc).

For indoor photos, even with the LED flash, the quality is not nearly as good. However, I still put it as comparative to most cheap point-and-shoot cameras used by casual photographers -- I've seen a lot of poor indoor pictures taken with real digital cameras that are just as bad because the person doesn't take the time to set the flash/exposure properly or doesn't realize that most P&S flashes lack any real range.

Another useful tip for using the iPhone 4 camera: The iPhone doesn't take the picture until you remove your finger from the shutter button, meaning that you can set up your shot while holding your finger on the button and then release, or better yet "slide" your finger off the button to take the picture. This eliminates the slight jerky motion that can sometimes cause blurry pictures under low light conditions.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:32 PM

Junior Lounger

A few days ago I used my iPhone4's camera to take a lot of photos at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, CA. In regular light, the camera is just as good as my Canon PowerShot SD750, but in low-light conditions it performs even better, much to my surprise! At the library's museum, they have a one inch to 1 foot scale model of the White House, which is extremely detailed and each of the lamps and lights are miniatures, and are lit, but the room it is in has low light conditions. The photo quality on iPhone4 under these conditions is more than acceptable. I was not allowed to use the flash, but did not need it, as the light from the little lights seemed to be enough to allow for decent photos. I don't think I'll need to take my regular digital camera on trips anymore.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Actually, I find the iPhone 4 camera to be quite acceptable for a casual snapshot camera -- my wife recently took a vacation with some friends and left her point-and-shoot camera at home in favour of the iPhone 4 camera. The pictures she took were every bit as good as what she normally takes with a dedicated camera, but she's more of a "snapshot" photographer and almost all of the photos were taken outdoors in daylight (typical travel photos -- scenery, buildings, etc).

For indoor photos, even with the LED flash, the quality is not nearly as good. However, I still put it as comparative to most cheap point-and-shoot cameras used by casual photographers -- I've seen a lot of poor indoor pictures taken with real digital cameras that are just as bad because the person doesn't take the time to set the flash/exposure properly or doesn't realize that most P&S flashes lack any real range.

Another useful tip for using the iPhone 4 camera: The iPhone doesn't take the picture until you remove your finger from the shutter button, meaning that you can set up your shot while holding your finger on the button and then release, or better yet "slide" your finger off the button to take the picture. This eliminates the slight jerky motion that can sometimes cause blurry pictures under low light conditions.
Well said. My wife has a good digital camera so she never uses her iPhone camera. I don't have a camera of my own so my iPhone *is* my camera, and for what it does, I am nothing but extremely happy with it
Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

I agree with everyone else, it is a good way to snap decent pictures when you do not have a real digital camera with you with an optical zoom, but I find it decent enough. Outside pictures look great, inside even with the flash, it can be hot or miss. Today the new OS is supposed to have improved camera functionality built in. I think it is called HRC or something. I am no expert.

Topic: Poor quality photos with iPhone 4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.