Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Help! I can't delete music files from my iPhone4!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Junior Lounger

Help! I can't delete music files from my iPhone4!

I purchased my new iPhone4 yesterday, and I love it! But I have one nagging problem with it - I can copy music files to it from iTunes, and I can play those songs and create playlists on the phone itself, but I can't figure out how to delete music files from the phone. The music screen displayed when I click on the "iPhone" devices bar is opaque, so I cannot click anywhere on it, and there seems to be no way to delete files on the phone. I'm probably just an iPhone newbie who needs to be shown where the hidden menu item is and is probably something really simple, but I would be grateful for any pointers on this problem. Thanks in advance!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Senior Lounger

There's no option to delete music directly from within the iPhone. (But you can with podcasts).

Connect to iTunes, navigate to music (iPhone's music, not your iTunes library) and delete it from there.

iPhone 4 (4.2.1) Jailbroken & iPad 2. Using iOS for 4 years. Hate facebook, love last.fm. If you value any advice given in iLounge, come back and say "thanks".. :-)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrson View Post
....Connect to iTunes, navigate to music (iPhone's music, not your iTunes library) and delete it from there.
Thanks for your reply. I tried doing that, but I can't click on a song - when I try, nothing happens, as if that section is not available for editing or deleting.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt327gir View Post
Thanks for your reply. I tried doing that, but I can't click on a song - when I try, nothing happens, as if that section is not available for editing or deleting.
Two solutions:
If you are syncing your whole library with your iPhone, connect your iphone to your computer, in itunes, select your iphone under devices on the left sidebar. on the summary tab, there is a checkbox entitled [Manually manage music and videos), check this box and when you navigate to music under the iphone in devices, you should be able to remove specific songs from your library.

If you are not syncing all your music to the iPhone, you can create an iPhone playlist, which you can add or remove songs from, when you sync these changes to the iphone playlist will be updated on the iphone.

The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

I recommend you a ways of deleting the music files from your iPhone , just connect your iPhone to the computer , in itunes , you can delete the music files , you can't delete it from the phone .
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

WhatDoctor

I too had this problem. Many thanks to iNick for the solution - but one more issue to watch - you have to use iTunes on the computer you used to add all of the music in the first place - or it will erase everything from your iphone. It does warn you it is about to do this - but please pay attention to the warning.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

Delete and Change from ITunes

Hi Guys I am new here but have been searching for an answer for the same thing. You may have found this by now but here is how i change, modify track info, delete or add things to my iPhone 4. After connecting the your iPhone select it in iTunes. On the summary section there is a check box call "Manually Manange Music and Videos" turn this box on. Leave the sync box off on the Music section or it will turn off the other off. This will alow you to drag and drop things on and off your iPhone. You can also right click and delete or open the track info and make changes to the info. Every thing works the same as a file in the iTunes library

Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

About Music Files

Hi,

After i connected my Phone to iTunes and I selected Manually Manage music and vidoes and clicked apply and after all my songs are gone my phone and i am not able to see them on itunes also and what can be done to retrive them

Thanks
Srikanth JJ
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hello. This is an answer to the user above me. All you have to do is uncheck "manually manage" and check "sync music". That should do the trick!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have done all of this. With the "manually manage" selected, there is no music shown in the Music tab of my iphone. I have unchecked all songs in the itunes library, I have deleted all playlist, I have no albums, artists or genre checked. Still there are a few songs on the iphone 4...which seems impossible...

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10fouru View Post
I have done all of this. With the "manually manage" selected, there is no music shown in the Music tab of my iphone. I have unchecked all songs in the itunes library, I have deleted all playlist, I have no albums, artists or genre checked. Still there are a few songs on the iphone 4...which seems impossible...

Anyone have any other ideas?
If I back up the iPhone then choose restore...will that set back to "ground zero"? If so, then can I restore from back up to put all the apps and data back on there?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Backing up. Then choosing a blank restore then restoring from backup does the trick. Creating playlist then deleting the songs didn't work. In fact, it put duplicates on the iPhone.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey no worries...i just deleted all my purchased music from my iphone in seconds....Go to the Music tab in your iphone4 select Songs....instead of tapping the song and it playing, drag your finger across the song title to the right ->this will pull up a delete button...tap it and its off your phone.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt327gir View Post
I purchased my new iPhone4 yesterday, and I love it! But I have one nagging problem with it - I can copy music files to it from iTunes, and I can play those songs and create playlists on the phone itself, but I can't figure out how to delete music files from the phone. The music screen displayed when I click on the "iPhone" devices bar is opaque, so I cannot click anywhere on it, and there seems to be no way to delete files on the phone. I'm probably just an iPhone newbie who needs to be shown where the hidden menu item is and is probably something really simple, but I would be grateful for any pointers on this problem. Thanks in advance!
try with LongPathTool program. It helped me for the problem.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

it works!

I was able to delete an entire Christmas album compilation as some suggested above. I tapped on music, then albums and did the right swipe and voila, delete the album!

Topic: Help! I can't delete music files from my iPhone4!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.