iTunes wont recognize iPhone - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes wont recognize iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

iTunes wont recognize iPhone

I bought a new iPhone, i have a pc with XP. After plugging it in for the first time it gave me a error that was supposed to be solved restarting the apple mobile service. I did that now it does not even recognize the iPhone in itunes. When i first plug it in i get a popup that shows it as a camera, i choose the camera wizard and since i dont have any pics i cancel. I see the apple camera in my computer, but itunes never recognizes it. At the ATT store they loaded all my contacts onto the phone so i have to be careful. I called applecare, they talked about troubleshooting but I mentioned i had a brand new windows 7 computer that i would not mind moving it to. They took that option rather than troubleshooting. They had me download itunes and point it to my external drive where the music was in, it appeared to work, but i noticed that itunes did not have my ratings and playlists. They then had me create a dummy contact in outlook on the machine which i did not use, since all my contacts were on the iPHONE.

I did this again, this time uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes and copying the old itunes music folder over to the new machine and now i have the playlists, but no songs or ratings. I have over 2000 songs, itunes on the windows 7 machines shows a small number of songs. The itunes on the windows 7 machine is 64 bit, it does not give me the option of using 32 bit. At this point the best solution would either be that my XP machine recognizes the iPHONE or that the songs, playlists and ratings are in my itunes on the windows 7 machine.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Power Lounger

Can you not add another option? Like buy a new iMac? Surely that'd solve the problems and also be a great way to start a weekend!

//iPhone 6 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks Air // Retina iPad Mini 128 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Junior Lounger

From Device Manager, Select the iPhone (under Portable Devices, may be under imaging devices see as it's recognised as a camers, mine was.) and then select "Update Driver" (mine had a Microsoft Driver which enables the camera/storage, but did not allow it to connect with iTunes). Don't direct it to automatically search for a driver, instead, manually point it to search in c:/program files/common files/apple/ - It should then "do it's thing" and install the correct apple driver - voila - iPhone is then recognized.

Topic: iTunes wont recognize iPhone

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.